cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Public Links Suspended because of downloading my own files?

Helpful | Level 6

Seriously Dropbox? You guys have been getting progressively worse to the point I canceled my plan, and several friends of mine have left dropbox forever, one is considering it still too and he and I have begun to start using Tresorit instead, and now your phone app doesn't download (export) or even let me "make files available offline", constantly sticking at 0% and then failing.

You disabled me from using public links because I logged into dropbox on Firefox and went to the right folder to download my files via Firefox, where it actually WORKED for a change, and quite fast I might add. Hell you even count failed downloads against me too, like when my IP changed because I was in a car and my signal changed from one tower to the other and the file was aborted but you counted the entire file size instead of what bandwidth I used. Your system claimed this was "public links" which it wasn't, none of these files were shared at all.

I'm trying to get these files out of dropbox so I can delete them and get my space below 150% capacity. Was at 330% capacity this morning before I went to town. Your desktop app gets stuck at 0.00KB/s a lot, it doesn't save the progress when you pause or exit dropbox so you gotta start over from scratch if you pause or exit dropbox which is also stupid.

Your service is royally pissing me off, and I'm on the edge of leaving. You lost me as a customer already. I have started telling all of my friends all of these problems and that Tresorit is better. Even though it also has a custom UI, at least it has some better features and works more reliably. I think you guys began to go downhill for me when you originally canceled the public links, back when I could direct link files instead of link some ?dl=0 preview page. But good lord, when you made this new UI change, dropbox officially just died, it got extremely worse and is just, terrible. Its a horrible experience. I can't stand it anymore. I ended my paid plan just last month.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Public Links Suspended because of downloading my own files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Vas V., I'm really sorry to hear about your experience!

As you mentioned, if you're just downloading files from your account and not through a shared link then this shouldn't count against the bandwidth for your links.

Do you possibly have any other shared links that are still active that you shared previously? You can check out the Sharing tab for any shared links in your account here.

Also, if your Dropbox account is over your space limit as you noted, then the desktop app won't be able to sync your files. You would need to reduce your space usage to 100% or less for the app to be able to sync.

Since you're trying to download your data so that you can remove it from your Dropbox account, but you're having trouble with downloading from the web and the mobile app, I'd like to ask you a little more info on this.

What would be your preferred method of downloading your files, through the mobile app or on your computer? What network are you using when you're getting errors with either method (WiFi, cellular or both)?

Let me know and we can continue from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

None of my active shared links have enough size to possibly be downloaded enough times to reach the bandwidth limit nor are my links publicly posted anywhere except maybe a few screenshots which would then need to be loaded over 10,000 times to exceed the bandwidth limit and there's no way thats even remotely possible. The lockout happened while I was in town downloading my own files from the website using the download button.

If my dropbox is out of space, the client can still sync, I can't upload, but I can download. Even before I was out of space though, the phone app can't download, it sits at 0% constantly doing nothing. This is one of the reasons I canceled my Dropbox plan, because Dropbox is getting worse and becoming a hassle.

The reason I tried to use my phone app to download, was because my laptop has... Or had a dead battery (and now its destroyed because I tried to repair it myself and Asus made **bleep** sure that self serviced laptops break)... I couldn't bring the laptop to town to download anywhere because Corona shut down all the hotspots. So I brought my phone with a 64GB SD card in it to town to download. The App failed to download, 0% constantly on the make available offline, and then export failed too, same issue. So I exited the app, went to the browser, found my file, clicked the download button from within my account not a public link. None of the files I downloaded even had public links. This worked perfectly, I was able to get my files quickly. Till Dropbox suspended me.

I used my mobile network, since there are no available hotspots anywhere anymore. 4G LTE. I found a spot in town next to a tower that I was able to sit and download at 10MB/s. I finally got all my files so my dropbox is now below the limit and working normally again. I've got about 16.9GB total storage capacity in dropbox, and was using around 80GB when I canceled my plan for 2TB.

I'd really prefer if Dropbox had small plans, so I could pay a small price something reasonable, for 100GB storage or even 200GB storage. I don't need 2TB. hell after I canceled it keeps wanting me to renew with the promise of more space. I don't need more space, I'm disabled, I need cheaper prices! Also a reliable system that actually works and stops banning me for stupid crap that makes no sense.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with all that info @Vas V.!

I'm glad to hear that in the end you have downloaded all your data that you need.

What I can suggest in regards to your shared links is to reach out to our Support team. To do so, please fill out the help request form from here via an incognito browsing window.

While we don't currently have any smaller plans, we do have a request for this here. You can show your support for this request by upvoting the idea too.

I'd be more than happy to help with any other issues that you might still be having with the mobile app or anything else, so please let me know if you'd like to look into this further.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?