cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q, about sharing a file

Highlighted

Q, about sharing a file

Explorer | Level 3

I am very new to this, and not tech savy at all. I created a folder and have placed a few files in it.

What I wanted to do is share one of the files with someone. I selected their name/mail added a note, and 'sent' it off.

I am a bit confused about the process however:

* What happens when I do this? Do the just get an email and a link to where the file is, so they can then go into DB and download it? Or does something else happen?

* And is there a way for me to know if they got notified, or if they then did anything, e.g. downlaod the file, etc?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Q, about sharing a file

Dropboxer

Hi @freedda, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you might have created a shared file or folder with that user, which requires their own Dropbox account in order to access the content.

They would get an email from Dropbox in order to login and view the info you have sent it to.

If you shared the files via another method, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

* Yes, I believe it was through a shared folder, but my questions remain, how can I know that I did in fact share it with them and is there a way to know they actually got or downloaded the files?

* And, is there another way for me to either share or have them download the file?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

You can see if it is a shared folder from the website, and if people are invited to it by clicking the Share button and seeing their emails there. 

However, you can't see if users have accessed or downloaded the files within.

Another way to share is to create a shared link, and change the ending of the link from dl=0 to dl=1 to force the files to download automatically. Again, there isn't a way to see if they have accessed or downloaded the files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?