cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query with bandwidth

Query with bandwidth

Explorer | Level 3

Query with bandwidth Dropbox Plus, Dropbox Family, Dropbox Professional and Dropbox Business accounts: 200 GB and unlimited downloads per day.

Let's say I want to upload songs created for my online classes, and I have 500 students, it tells me that I have a bandwidth of 200gb per day and unlimited downloads.

If those 500 students download the content and that song weighs 5mb

Will I have a problem? I'm confused, since we use a school player to listen to the symphonies. And up to 500 students or more can listen to it. If all 500 students play that song at the same time, could there be a problem? Or if they all download the same file, could you explain better how this would work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Query with bandwidth

Dropboxer

Hey @said550, thanks for dropping by. 

Each upload and download counts toward your bandwidth limit, even if it’s done by the same person multiple times.

For example, if you have a 2 GB file and someone downloads it five times or five users download it once each, that’s 10 GB of bandwidth.

Since you're referring to a 5 MB file, you should be fine to share with others either way, since it's quite small. 

Making it a little bit mathematical here, but if you have 500 students and each one downloads the 5 MB file once, then that would amount to approximately 2.5 GB - that's a long way before you reach even the 200 GB limit.

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hey @said550, thanks for dropping by. 

Each upload and download counts toward your bandwidth limit, even if it’s done by the same person multiple times.

For example, if you have a 2 GB file and someone downloads it five times or five users download it once each, that’s 10 GB of bandwidth.

Since you're referring to a 5 MB file, you should be fine to share with others either way, since it's quite small. 

Making it a little bit mathematical here, but if you have 500 students and each one downloads the 5 MB file once, then that would amount to approximately 2.5 GB - that's a long way before you reach even the 200 GB limit.

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you very much one more question, I converted the dropbox link into a direct download link and we connected it to a player so that everyone can play it, everyone can play at the same time without problems?

I contracted the 2tb plan, I understand that it is 200gb of daily bandwidth? And what happens if I exceed that limit? My account is blocked? How long would the blockade last, just to keep in mind, with that I will be totally satisfied

Dropboxer

Hey again, @said550! I hope you had a lovely weekend. 

If you exceed your account's bandwidth limit, you'll see a banned link error message, which means that your links have been temporarily or permanently "banned”.

Generally, the first time you see such a notification, the links will be unavailable for 24 hours. 

You can find more information about it and what to do after those 24 hours, here

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?