cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re a conflicted file and name attached to it.

Question re a conflicted file and name attached to it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi i have a conflicted file on my drop box. I understand how that has come about but what puzzles me is the naming of it. It has the label of my full name followed by "Ian's conflicted copy". No i might be missing something and Ian may mean something else but my name isn't Ian and i'm the only person with access, none of my devices have the label Ian so i am at a loss. Forgive me if i am being 'stoops' but how can this be?

Thanks

Andy

3 Replies 3

Re: Question re a conflicted file and name attached to it.

Dropboxer

Hi there @polarisandy; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Could you please check your account's events page and let me know what you find in regards to the conflicted copy in question?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

From the events log i note that each time i have added or removed a device to stay within the three device rule, the event log records this but instead of it being with the prefix of my initials in a green circle it has 'DU' in a purple circle. Each of the devices added has my device name in full with the suffix ".Ian" after it. This explains the message "name.Ian's conflicted copy". With this information are you able to explain the ".Ian's" origin?

Thx

Andy

Dropboxer

If the same name shows in your Security page under your linked devices, then, it's probably the name of your device and/or the OS profile used by the desktop application, Andy. 

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?