cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RANSOMWARE CORUPTED MY FILES, WHICH WERE SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTED BY DROPBOX.

RANSOMWARE CORUPTED MY FILES

txmamash
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi DropBox team...

I recently suffered a ransomware attack that ends up corrupting my computer and dropbox files.

I formatted my pc and really lost a lot of files and dear pictures of mine,

Now, my dropbox files were corrupted too, how can I get them cleaned from this **bleep** (.plam) extension that was added to all files in dropbox, I wonder about the security level you guys have because my iCloud was also connected to my pc and never was infected!!!

I tried the older version and it didn’t give any older versions and when trying Rewind it said you have to upgrade!!!

Do I really have to suffer your lack of security and then twist my arm and force me to upgrade to clean my files which was originally your mistake?!

I’ve been a user for more than a decade and this is how you treat customers...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@txmamash 

Dropbox never has claimed or offered any sort of protection against viruses and malware - after all they are stored on your device identically to every other single file and so just as much at risk as every other single one. This is where iCloud is different - they are NOT on your device - just a link to them. 

There is no mistake from Dropbox's side here I'm afraid. 

However, as long as this happened within 30 days its an easy fix. Just follow https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/viruses-malware. That will get your files back to what they were before hand. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@txmamash 

Dropbox never has claimed or offered any sort of protection against viruses and malware - after all they are stored on your device identically to every other single file and so just as much at risk as every other single one. This is where iCloud is different - they are NOT on your device - just a link to them. 

There is no mistake from Dropbox's side here I'm afraid. 

However, as long as this happened within 30 days its an easy fix. Just follow https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/viruses-malware. That will get your files back to what they were before hand. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dacoca
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

Today I had this problem too, you can fix it in two steps:

1. Erase the ransomeware extension of your file´s names.

2. Restore a version of your files with a date before the day you were attacked.

I hope this help you

pg_rinori
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, my account has been attacked on date 5 of may, all my files have been encrypted from that virus and I cannot open them, 

are there any possibilities to recover through any back up or any other tool, 

asking for a solution,

would be appreciated.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pg_rinori wrote:

all my files have been encrypted from that virus and I cannot open them, 

are there any possibilities to recover through any back up or any other tool, 

Refer to the following help article and reply back here if you have any other questions.

Need more support?