cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly deleted files and folders

Randomly deleted files and folders

currentcapital
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Anyone else experiencing files and folders being deleted from Dropbox without human intervention?

I know that I'm going to get the stock Dropbox answer here that it can't happen, but I can explicitly tell you it does.

What I saw was random deletions of over 10,000 files/folders in the space of less than 33 seconds. Even with the best will in the world - not to mention the fastest fingers - this just isn't possible. Especially considering that some complete folders, and in some cases just files within folders, disappeared at 13:30 BST yesterday, all within 33 seconds (according to the event log). 

The kicker is that the only person who has access to these files/folders is me - and I know for sure that I didn't delete them.

I guess there may be 2 explanations:

1) I entered a fugue state and decided to delete all my work on a number of cases

2) Something is happening with the Dropbox software that either Dropbox don't know about or can't fix

Been trying to get Dropbox support to assist, but got the usual default customer service answer of "it's not us it's you". Well, I know it's not me - so by extension it must be the software!

Next step is to request a refund of my yearly plan as I cannot have something that intervenes in my workflow like this and then wastes half a day (and counting) trying to figure out what's missing. I guess the only silver lining is that I have a Dropbox business account, so files are kept forever. Small benefit, but a good one at this stage.

So, after my long winded moan above, anyone have a resolution to stop Dropbox from deleting things from my folders? Or is it just time to move on to another provider?

Finally, don't let anyone from Dropbox tell you differently (especially the "Super Users") as I can categorically say it happens. They'll tell you it can't, but I know for a fact that it can.

Best of luck and hoping you don't fall foul of the same problems I've had.

60 Replies 60

Watts H.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just got a nice message from some minion at dropbox, telling me "not to worry"...

Ummm...I pay them money to keep my data backed up and secure and their system is clearly not doing its job -- either by internal fault or security breach.  

I will be leaving dropbox as soon as I can find an effective replacement

@currentcapital wrote:

@MichaelF

That sounds to me like a hack, but not being a computer tech, I'd be hesitant to confirm it. Usual advice that I've received is to change the passwords, which I know doesn't help right now but could do in the future.

With regards to getting the files restored, hopefully you're able to do so via the console but if not, then ask on the support site to have the whole events restored. Be aware that it will take them ages to reply and to action, but this is really the only way.

Best of luck!

K.

@currentcapital wrote:

@MichaelF

That sounds to me like a hack, but not being a computer tech, I'd be hesitant to confirm it. Usual advice that I've received is to change the passwords, which I know doesn't help right now but could do in the future.

With regards to getting the files restored, hopefully you're able to do so via the console but if not, then ask on the support site to have the whole events restored. Be aware that it will take them ages to reply and to action, but this is really the only way.

Best of luck!

K.

JHVphysics
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Update my earlier post...

DB answered to me... seems DB does support external drive. just keep it plugged at all times... dont move the usb cable with your mouse or anything like that??? othervise it is possible that the client sees the files missing and starts deleting them.

This seems like a bug to me... Even amateur programmer like me could see multible ways around this.

like check if the DB folder exists before syncing or if DB folder disapears in middle of sync recover the deleted data or give error warning. Since we paid for the space why not keep the deleted data there on the free space as long as the paid 1TB is full not just 30 days. I and many others use external drives because they can be unblugged, My laptop has SSD that has only limited amount of space so external drive is the most convenient. place to keep most of my data.

Anyways I learned my lesson and we are moving to other servise provider

MeAndMrJones
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have computers on syncing on both Windows 10 and Mac Sierra computers. Mid-day yesterday, about 8,000 files and directories were deleted in a single dropbox event. The files appear to have been deleted in alphabetical order over the course of a few minutes. I know it was not the result of human interaction because the deletes took place across hundreds of directories. Some files and folders in these directories were deleted and others were left untouched. Moreover, I was out of the office when the event happened.  All the deletes appear as a single event in dropbox. 

On my Windows 10 computer, I noticed the Dropbox app was not running (perhaps had crashed) and had not been running for a while, probably around 12 hours). I restarted the app manually probably an hour before the mass random file deletion took place.

This type of random deletion cannot be attributed to human error so it must be a bug. Where do I report bugs?

Is there a way to undo an event in dropbox? If not, how do I get my files restored in an efficient manner? It would take days to manually restore using the links in the event. I can't do a bulk restore because then I would still need to sift through my restored files and redelete thousands of files. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It isnt a bug - it isnt possible to delete files on Dropbox without SOME sort of interaction from a computer or a person. You can go to a file that was deleted via www.dropbox.com/home , click on 'Show Deleted files' and then one of them thats deleted and look at the previous versions. That shows which devices/users instigated the delete command.

Is your Dropbox on an external or network drive? Or, does it contain junctions/symlinks? Thats what usually causes these.

And you can request a rollback at https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MeAndMrJones
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I'm not using any symlinks. Some of the files might be shared in a homegroup but not the affected folder.

The deletion operation interaction must have been from a computer as opposed to a user. As I indicated the manner in which the files were deleted, certain files and folders several branches down, while other folders in the same subfolders were unaffected. Again, based on the timestamps on the affected folders (i.e. the modified timestamp updated because subfolders and files were deleted) the time seem to roll in an alphabetical order over the course of a few minutes which would indicate a sync operation. I agree with your statement that it is unlikely that the cloud deleted the files out of the blue, it appears that the app is likely what caused the change since it appears that the deletions took place at about the same pace as a sync operation. Is it possible that starting dropbox on the second computer where it had apparently crashed earlier and was hadn't been running for a day caused a problem? Are their client side sync metadata files that could have been corrupted or gotten out of sync? Perhaps something happened to the metadata on those files on the offline computer and dropbox misunderstood the metadata and deleted the files as part of its sync operation?

I went to the link help link you shared and don't see a rollback option there. Right now we are starting the process of manually restoring the files from the delete event page. Thanks for your reply and help.

cwcastle
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This has been happing to 100's of people Mark this is a Dropbox problem not a user problem. Dropbox need too address this issue now before 100's of people leave for a better sulotion.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
@MeandMrsJones - its possible a corrupt crash caused the issue. Especially if its alphabetical. But, its more likely the crash caused the files to be removed locally which was then replicated to Dropbox. If the Dropbox database is corrupt it simply crashes the software and rebuilds from scratch. Its kind of a 'it works or it doesnt' issue, there isnt an in the middle.

In terms of roll back, that link shows you how or tells you to log a ticket via http://bit.ly/cm-support.

@cqcastle. It isnt a Dropbox issue. Look at the code. Dropbox has no code in it AT ALL to remove/edit or change files. It simply isnt possible.

And by all means leave - thankfully thats the open market. But, I'm sure they wont panic over a few 100s with buggy systems leaving - as they are still the largest/growing quickest etc. Remember you can close accounts at www.dropbox.com/account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

straightshooter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I went back into my folders to get some master video files and they are gone...It appears as if the ones that were just loosely put in my dropbox they are still there, but some of my larger video files are gone. just empty folders left...Help. I am the only one with access and i know i didn't delete them...100%. I may lose business over this...not good. went into my events and nothing unusual

profmark
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just lost 200 powerpoints - that has taken half a lifetime to build up. They were just randomly deleted last week - and I run just a simple imac. There is clearly something very wrong at Dropbox at the moment. I am going back to a good old hard disk 

BackMeUp
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The same thing happened to me.  Many files and folders deleted, then restored incompletely and randomly.  I did not delete these files.  Some have been duplicated, some deleted completely.  It has happened in both shared and unshared folders.  This is not a syncing issue.  I have used Dropbox for years and nothing like this has ever happened.  Dropbox tech support is very unhelpful so far.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Atmosphere Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    sibu12345 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?