cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ransomware attack, how to proceed

Highlighted

Ransomware attack, how to proceed

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I just suffered a very stressful ransomware attack a few hours ago but luckily it looks like I avoided any loss. It was all caused by my company getting attacked today, as my personal dropbox was synced to a local on my company machine, which I guess is what got hijacked causing my account and all my locals to sync the "turned" infected files, pretty much every file.

95% of my data was backed up, but the the 5% that wasn't yet was luckily saved by rewind, thank goodness. I immediately unsynced all machines, obviously including the company machine that caused all this. Then I downloaded the non-backed up data and backed it up to an external. After that I synced the entire account to my desktop, which at the time was not synced to the account so I felt safe given none of the infected files ever downloaded to it, it was "untouched" by this whole fiasco i guess.

My question is basically, what precautions and steps do I take next? My macbook, which was synced with the account at the time of attack, downloaded the infected files. Can infected files just being on the machine leave viruses or means to cause another ransom attack down the line - in which case is the right thing to do to completely wipe my macbook? Should I even feel comfortable logging into the the dropbox website from my macbook safari, since infected files were just on the macbook (i've deleted them out of caution) - can it attack my dropbox web account somehow?  Same question for my phone and ipad i guess - they, a few hours ago, showed the infected files in the app (filename.extension.hur214y). Is it dangerous to log back in from my iphone and ipad?

Thanks so much, any advice is very much appreciated.

-S

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Ransomware attack, how to proceed

Dropboxer

Sounds like you have everything covered there @shendotss!

The only thing I might say to keep in mind is that suggested steps in our help center article here if your device is ever infected with ransomware again.

There's not much I can suggest in terms of preventative methods within Dropbox, however, just taking care in general with not downloading or installing unknown files or programs.

However, we do have ways to assist you in restoring your files in Dropbox if your files are infected in this way, which I hope gives some peace of mind.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @shendotss, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

It could be that a machine was infected from outside the Dropbox folder on the affected computer, but all files on the device will have been encrypted, including the local Dropbox folder.

This then would have synced with the account online, including any shared folders on the affected device. However, that doesn't mean that the files are still infected with the ransomware now.

The best precaution I can suggest in this case, it to use an antivirus app or service on your device to scan the files in your Dropbox folder on your Mac, as this function isn't built into Dropbox.

Also, the device affected with the ransomware should take the steps outlined here before reconnecting to their Dropbox account with the desktop app.

A ransomware would only be able to affect the local files on your computer though, so accessing your account online wouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, thanks so much. Yes the computer where the infection came through was my office computer, from my office network, which i disconnected and will never connect it again. My main worry now was my macbook, since it downloaded the infected files from the cloud before i rewound. I deleted my entire dropbox from my macbook, but was afraid maybe those infected files carried some sort of virus or malware before i deleted them. But, I was able to chat with someone from support and they mentioned files encrypted by ransomware rarely carry/distribute viruses/malware themselves, they are usually just encrypted. So i decided not to do a clean wipe of my macbook and instead ran malwarebytes and all seems fine now. Do you have any additional advice or things I should keep in mind? Thanks so much for everything,

-S

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Sounds like you have everything covered there @shendotss!

The only thing I might say to keep in mind is that suggested steps in our help center article here if your device is ever infected with ransomware again.

There's not much I can suggest in terms of preventative methods within Dropbox, however, just taking care in general with not downloading or installing unknown files or programs.

However, we do have ways to assist you in restoring your files in Dropbox if your files are infected in this way, which I hope gives some peace of mind.

Daphne

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?