cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ransomware :(

Ransomware :(

cohno
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,
My work computer got a ransomware attack and infected my files in one specific shared folder.
I went ahead and unlinked the device that had the shared folder, would I be able to get it rewinded?

Please let me know! I can also provide more information on the folder infected.

Thank you!

9 Replies 9

Re: Ransomware :(

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @cohno, thanks for joining our Community!

Have you tried the steps here to rewind the folder from your end?

Are you having trouble?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cohno
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Hannah!

I have already tried those steps, the restored file keeps getting reinfected... 😞

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @cohno, if this is a shared folder, and you machine isn't infected with malware, then it means another member of the shared folder is still infected. 

Until that member's computer is repaired and completely removed of the malware, the files will be re-infected each time you Rewind them.

If you check the version history of one of the files you restored, you should be able to see which user and device has the infection.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cohno
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay!

I've already unlinked the device that was infected (under their account), and i've gone ahead and unshared the folder with everyone. 

It's not my computer since my other files are okay, but when i try to rewind a file it still gets reinfected. It seems that the ransomware is attached to the file itself and not the computer/folder, because any new files put into the folder are fine, but any rewinded infected files are still infected. Is there a way we can try to rewind the whole folder instead of individual files and see if that removes the ransomware?

Jay
Dropboxer
Rewinding the entire folder to before the infection is possible, by selecting the entire folder and then rewinding it.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cohno
Explorer | Level 3
I don't have the option to rewind, only to view the events. Could I request a rewind?

Mark
Super User II

@cohno 

Rewind is a feature only available to paid users. If you do not have that available to you I'm afraid you need to manually restore each file to a date/time before the infection took place. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cohno
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Mark!

I've tried to manually restore the files but it keeps getting reinfected. After unsharing, unlinking, and trying to manually restore individual files, I wanted to know if I can request a rewind for the whole folder?

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/ransomware-recovery
Since step #2 also states "You can also contact support for help rewinding"

Mark
Super User II

If you are getting a reinfected file when restoring you need to restore an earlier version - https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/recover-older-versions 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/version-history-overview

You may, however, need to restore first and THEN get the older version. 

You are right, it does say contact support.... but unless you are a paid user there isnt a way to do this. Sorry. All your support options are at www.dropbox.com/support

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    cohno Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?