cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not uploading

dima_dragun
Explorer | Level 3

I have absolutely the same problem. I have did all from your instruction.

My internet speed is 200/200 Mbit/sec upload/donwload, but Dropbox client use only 100-800 Kbit/sec.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.01.49.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.04.37.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.04.55.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.04.58.pngMy location is Russia Moscow.

Could you help me impruve my upload speed please?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Dima.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@dima_dragun wrote:

My internet speed is 200/200 Mbit/sec upload/donwload, but Dropbox client use only 100-800 Kbit/sec.

First, your 200/200 speed is not the speed that you have to the Internet. That's the best case speed you have to your ISPs network. Your actual speed to other servers on the Internet, Dropbox included, will be based on network congestion, distance between you and the servers you connect to, the maximum speeds of the routes taken to get to those servers, etc. Being in Russia, the biggest hurdle you have is likely the distance to Dropbox's servers. Unless you specified otherwise, your speed test is run to a local server. For a more accurate result pick one close to the Dropbox servers which are in San Francisco, and remember that some ISPs have been known to provide higher priority for speed test traffic.

Also, while most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in bytes. Be sure to do the conversion before comparing. Your 242KB/s transfer speed is approximately 1.9Mb/s, which is a respectable speed given the distance involved.

And finally, each file that you upload is hashed, compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate KB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, the speed reported by Dropbox is not a simple transfer speed, but the speed of the entire process.

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey dima_dragun, Ciro U. & walwar, thanks for posting this questions & troubleshooting steps you’ve followed & welcome to the Dropbox Forum! 

You may keep in mind that I’ve moved your posts in a new thread, since this was a much older discussion & we’d like to keep track of the most recent issues. 

As Rich has sent you all the relevant details in regards to your inquiry (& I’d assume from the attached screenshots that you’ve already applied all the relevant settings to increase your syncing speed), I’m just checking back with you here to ask if you need further assistance. If so, I could reach out to you directly via email & send your question to a higher level technician. 

Please keep me updated on how you’d like us to proceed on this discussion & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

7 Replies 7

walwar
Explorer | Level 4

These tips are not helpful whatsoever, I had already tried them before I post here. I am a triple CCNP and I know how network function. Nothing is wrong my connection (both at work and home).

⇝ mbp ⇜ ~ speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from ISP (x.x.x.x)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by ISP (Kista) [54.61 km]: 8.001 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 88.91 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 99.29 Mbit/s

Same problem here   Since yesterday, the sync proccess is...

Ciro U.
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here

Since yesterday, the sync proccess is really slow. Nothing new installed, same connection. I really can't find the cause.

Regards

Ciro

Rich
Super User II

@dima_dragun wrote:

First, your 200/200 speed is not the speed that you have to the Internet. That's the best case speed you have to your ISPs network. Your actual speed to other servers on the Internet, Dropbox included, will be based on network congestion, distance between you and the servers you connect to, the maximum speeds of the routes taken to get to those servers, etc. Being in Russia, the biggest hurdle you have is likely the distance to Dropbox's servers. Unless you specified otherwise, your speed test is run to a local server. For a more accurate result pick one close to the Dropbox servers which are in San Francisco, and remember that some ISPs have been known to provide higher priority for speed test traffic.

Also, while most ISPs and speed test sites display their results in bits (kilo or mega), the speeds reported by Dropbox are in bytes. Be sure to do the conversion before comparing. Your 242KB/s transfer speed is approximately 1.9Mb/s, which is a respectable speed given the distance involved.

And finally, each file that you upload is hashed, compressed, then transferred, encrypted, and stored on the Dropbox servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate KB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status. In other words, the speed reported by Dropbox is not a simple transfer speed, but the speed of the entire process.

Rich
Super User II

@walwar wrote:

Hosted by ISP (Kista) [54.61 km]: 8.001 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 88.91 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 99.29 Mbit/s

I'm assuming that Kista is referring to Kista, Sweden? If so, your speed test only shows your speed to a local server (see my previous reply for more information). Make sure you test to a server that's closer to Dropbox's location for a more accurate result.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey dima_dragun, Ciro U. & walwar, thanks for posting this questions & troubleshooting steps you’ve followed & welcome to the Dropbox Forum! 

You may keep in mind that I’ve moved your posts in a new thread, since this was a much older discussion & we’d like to keep track of the most recent issues. 

As Rich has sent you all the relevant details in regards to your inquiry (& I’d assume from the attached screenshots that you’ve already applied all the relevant settings to increase your syncing speed), I’m just checking back with you here to ask if you need further assistance. If so, I could reach out to you directly via email & send your question to a higher level technician. 

Please keep me updated on how you’d like us to proceed on this discussion & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

naeglaw
New member | Level 2

I uploaded a folder containing 9 PDF files.  All, but one uploaded.  This 800kb file will not upload.  I tried uploading it by itself.  What can I do.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey naeglaw, apologies for getting back in touch with you in delay, I hope you’ve you’ve had a great Monday so far! 

I’m getting back in touch here, as I run a search on our system & I could see that you discussed that with a colleague recently. 

It seems that switching browsers did the trick for you this time, so I’m updating the thread, in case someone experiences the same discrepancy. 

Other than that, I’d like to invite you to post us again on our Community in case you face a similar issue again in the future naeglaw, it’ll be a pleasure to work with you. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?