cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-add shared folder not working

Re-add shared folder not working

mjaydk
Helpful | Level 5

Hi all,

My girlfriend recently "cleaned" up her dropbox folder and accidentally removed a shared folder. She doesn't remember removing it and we can't locate it again.

Neither of our dropbox.com/events logs shows the deletion of the folder. And in the "Deleted files" menu no files are shown.

In her dropbox we can't find it at all.

In my own dropbox we can find it if we go to all files -> show deleted files.

But when selecting it and clicking re-add shared folder i get the following error message: "We were unable to complete your request" as shown in the image below.

Dropbox_deleted_folder.png

I really hope someone here can help since it is the folder we have stored all our shared files (budgets, house documents, pictures etc.).

Please help! 🙂

17 Replies 17

Re: Re-add shared folder not working

Mark
Super User II

As its showing as deleted its possible your girlfriend needs to restore it. Can you try that and THEN re-add it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mjaydk
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your reply Mark,

As i stated in the original post we can't find the shared folder anywhere on her dropbox.. only on mine and that is where i get the error when trying to re-add it.

It is quite strange 😞

Mark
Super User II

Go to the original location it was in and then try and restore it that way. 

Another thing to consider is that Dropbox wont allow restores/rejoining shares if you dont have enough space in your quota

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mjaydk
Helpful | Level 5

It just seems weird that it doesn't show up in deleted files or the event log on my girlfriends dropbox.. She accidentally deleted it so it would make sense if she could restore it but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Any other ideas? Hopefully someone from dropbox customer service finds the thread and checks behind the scenes. 

courtneyumbrella
Explorer | Level 4

This same exact thing has just happened to me and it doesn't make any sense. I can't find the original location of the file (or the notification on my desktop app of it being shared with me, which it was), but i can see it as deleted in version history but dropbox won't let me re-add...what's going on dropbox? it hasn't been 30 days, i should be able to restore...

mjaydk
Helpful | Level 5

Yes it is really frustrating!

I have tried everything i could think of and nothing works. I keep getting the error that the request cannot be completed.

I really hope someone from customer service sees this thread.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mjaydk, if the shared folder visible on this page for you to add back to your account?

Are you certain there's no event on your account or the other account showing that your access was removed from the shared folder?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mjaydk
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

No the folder is not visible on the page that you linked to.

There are no events showing the deletion of the folder or removal of access on any of our accounts. It is really strange 😞

Jay
Dropboxer
Since the folder appears to be deleted on the 28th February, on that account, there should definitely be an event on that date regarding the deletion if the access was removed from the folder. 

Could you forward a screenshot of the events page as it shows on that date, while hiding any personal info?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?