cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re-syncing problem - deleting from local folder results in repeat downloads

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I wonder if anyone can advise please?

Is it possible to instruct Dropbox to "Sync with local folder" and not "to local foder"?

In order  to free up some space I deleted/moved a lot of clutter from my local Dropbox folder. When I  re-established 'sync' it decided to download all the rubbish I have just spent a long time sifting through. Arrgh!

Sync was disabled during this long process due to no internet connection.

Many thanks for reading this!

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Re-syncing problem - deleting from local folder results in repeat downloads

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @NigelT. Thanks for joining.  

The Dropbox desktop application is syncing all your files locally to your computer. Instead of manually deleting your Dropbox files, I can help you set Dropbox to do this for you.

Use Selective Sync! 

Feel free to ask more questions. Happy Friday! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Fiona,

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't help.   I am aware of Selective Sync but it doesn't solve the problem - in fact it is the opposite to what I need to achieve.

I am deleting files from my local folder and I need to get Dropbox to realise this and remove them from it's servers too when it resyncs.  I don't want to leave them on Dropbox and I certainly don't want to disconnect local folders in any way.

I need to "synchronise Dropbox with my local folder" not "synchonise my local folder with Dropbox".  Is there a facility to instruct Dropbox which direction to synchonise after reconnection?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Dropbox syncs with the folder and the folder syncs with Dropbox. Syncing goes both ways for everything to be synchronized. 

There are few reasons files can re-appear after you delete them. In the case you are describing, probably the app does not realize you wish to delete them, because you pause syncing before you remove the files and Dropbox scans that something is missing when you resume syncing and resyncs them. 

You can try the following: 

1. Delete them from Dropbox.com instead. If they are not in the cloud, they cannot resync. 
  2. Don't pause syncing, just delete them while the desktop app is running. 

Let me know which solution worked for you. Thanks! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Deleted local folders still being present online

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, I use Dropbox free on my PC (as being the machine I do all my work so Dropbox is very important here) and also I have linked other 2 devices (my two phones).

Yesterday I have deleted two folders from Dropbox folder on my PC. I wanted to do that.

Today I noticed the 2 „deleted” folders are in the same spot when accesing Dropbox from your website. Why are they still there?

Highlighted

Re: Deleted local folders still being present online

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @ovisergiu. Welcome to our Community!

I moved your post here cause I answered this same question in this thread. 

If you delete the folders from the Dropbox website and you don't see this process syncing on your Dropbox desktop application, let me know. 

Thanks. Cheers! 

Fiona

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?