cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassign a dropbox link

Reassign a dropbox link

LyndaF
New member | Level 2

Can I reassign a dropbox link from an existing document that has a mistake in it to a new document?

I have sent out a lot of emails with a link to a pdf document made in canva and have realised there is a big typo that needs to be fixed. I don't want to change the document link address as the link will be broken.

Can I use the same link to reupload the doc when I have fixed the typo?

thanks!

2 Replies 2

Re: Reassign a dropbox link

Rich
Super User II

@LyndaF wrote:

Can I reassign a dropbox link from an existing document that has a mistake in it to a new document?

Just replace the existing document with the new version. Make sure you overwrite the existing file in place, without deleting it first. Deleting the existing file will remove the link and if you recreate the link it will be different. You have to overwrite the file in place.

The safest way to do this is to save your new version in a different location, then copy it to the folder of the existing file, overwriting it in the process. It's best not to save directly over it because when saving over existing files, some applications will delete the original first and then save the new copy, and that would result in the link being deleted.

Re: Reassign a dropbox link

LyndaF
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich. I need a bit of a walk through.

1. I made the change in Canva

2. I saved the pdf in downloads and changed the name to exactly the same name of the original in the dropbox folder

3. I copied to the file of the existing pdf and the web version did not ask if I wanted to overwrite, it did it automatically

4. The doc was overwritten but a new link was created.

5. The original link is dropbox.com/s/sh0j.    The new link is dropbox.com/s/ycii0  

6. I have reinstated the original using version history.

7. This is where it gets weird. The overwritten, version history doc that I have reinstated has the new dropbox link. However the old link also works as I have just clicked through from an email with the original link.

Where have I gone wrong?

thanks

Lynda

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LyndaF New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?