cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent files in Mac OS Finder

Recent files in Mac OS Finder

New member | Level 2

In the last week or so the dropbox folder in my finder windows on the Mac (Catalina 10.15.4) has started organising itself by recent activity (Today, This Month, Last Month etc).

This is at odds with the way in which I have always organised files on my Mac and means that now using the DB folder is counter-intuitive to my workflows, and different to the rest of my file organisation.

I'd like to switch this off but i'm seeing no option in the preferences for this. How can I go back to the usual alphabetical organisation I have been using for years?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Recent files in Mac OS Finder

Dropboxer

Hi @MMStudio; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm quite sure the sorting options for your Dropbox folder as you see it within your Finder are offered by your device's OS and not our desktop app; just to be sure we're on the same page though, you can forward me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end so I can advise further. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hi @MMStudio; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm quite sure the sorting options for your Dropbox folder as you see it within your Finder are offered by your device's OS and not our desktop app; just to be sure we're on the same page though, you can forward me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end so I can advise further. 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

You're quite right – in fact I just found this out here. Finder > View > Sort by > Name, if anyone else ever comes here.

Can't imagine why that reset itself at my end, for one folder only.

Anyway – thank you so much for the response.

New member | Level 2

Similar issues. Until my update to Catalina, Screenshots were organized by most recent. I love that. Easy to find to move quickly. However, now it's in alphabetical order based on day/time stamp and requires more thought to find and move it. I changed the setting to most recent which worked, but then ALL my desktop folders changes to recent instead of Alphabetical. It's annoying but workable if no solution is available for JUST the Drop box/screen shot folder.  Any assistance is helpful. Beth

Dropboxer

Hi @Beth Gully, if you've done the same changes as the previous user, then it's possible this was an OS setting, which changed it for all folders, and not related to Dropbox.

Could you try and change the setting so that only the Dropbox folder is affected?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?