Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent "Renamed" and "Conflicted" Content Killing My Dropbox Experience

Explorer | Level 4

Recently I have been facing a situation where I am getting a ton Selective Sync "conflicted" files and folders across all my computers. Just this morning I had to delete thousands of files that had accumulated overnight.

And these conflicts are compounding:

• Top Folder
    • Folder X (Computer A's Conflicted Copy)
    • Folder X (Computer B's Conflicted Copy)
    • Folder X (Computer A's Conflicted Copy) (Computer B's Conflicted Copy)
    • Folder X (Computer B's Conflicted Copy) (Computer A's Conflicted Copy)
    • File Y (Computer A's Conflicted Copy)
    • File Y (Computer B's Conflicted Copy)
    • File Y (Computer A's Conflicted Copy) (Computer B's Conflicted Copy)
    • File Y (Computer B's Conflicted Copy) (Computer A's Conflicted Copy)

You get the picture. If left unchecked this will quickly fill up disk space on my Acer laptop's very small m.2 drive. Now I can delete these conflicts just fine, but they keep eventually coming back.

Now these conflicts all appear to be under the same top folder.

Another situation I am facing that I suspect is related: this same top folder's contents keeps getting copied over from it to a new folder with the same name but with the word "renamed" tacked on to the end in parentheses.

Before:

• Top Folder
    • Folder X
    • File Y
  • Top Folder (Renamed)

After:

• Top Folder
  • Top Folder (Renamed)
    • Folder X
    • File Y

Interestingly, whatever is causing this is reverting itself, where the same files and folders are copied back to the original top folder and its doppelganger is deleted. Now while this appears to be self-correcting, it is none-the-less killing my bandwidth. I dare not use my mobile hot-spot lest it uses up all my mobile data.

I suspect this constant and repetitive moving of files and folders between the top folder and its doppelganger is causing the aforementioned "conflicted" content across all my computers.

The timing of these two oddities appears to coincide with the recent paradigm shift of how Dropbox treats symlinks. I only recently had to deal with this on my Acer as it used symlinks on a few key Dropbox folders to expand capacity beyond the limits of the laptop's very small m.2 drive. I've since eliminated all such symlinks.

The strange thing here is that although the timing seems more than coincidental, this top folder that keeps getting "renamed" and its files and folders "conflicted" doesn't contain nor has ever contained any symlinks...

...so what is truly causing all of this? I've done some experiments and have ruled out anti-virus software and recent computer patches.

The situation is making Dropbox unusable to me, and if I can't figure out a solution here, I'm afraid I'm going to have to move to another cloud service. Any ideas would be appreciated.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Recent "Renamed" and "Conflicted" Content Killing My Dropbox Experience

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @George A.; how are you today?

Thanks for listing all the troubleshooting you've done and your notes on this behavior. 

Usually, conflicted files are created as a safeguard to protect your files should changes occur to the same file at the same time (from other users, computers or sometimes even 3rd party apps or services).

That being said and as the quickest way to troubleshoot this would be through email so I can check your account's specifics and your devices' logs, would it be OK if I reached out to the email addreess that's connected to your Community's profile? 

Let me know here and we'll take it from there!

PS: If you could include a screenshot of the exact status of the app (to show the syncing status and version of the app) on the affected machines as well, it'd be great. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey @Walter,

I'm doing good. How are you?

Yes, please contact me in email...I want to get this sorted out.

--George

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm doing fine as well George; thanks for asking!

As promised, I've just followed up via email so we can work on this internally. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Talk soon 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

As a long suffering Windows user, I can only mention that MSFT solved the problem of file names with same name simply by adding a number to the end of the name, such that

My_important_file.doc   will not be overwritten   but the file of the same name ends up as  My_important_file(1).doc.   etc.     Could Dropbox may be do that?  Or is that method patented?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Walter, I've done some of my own testing and posted my results and observations in that support ticket you helped open for me...

...however there has not been much response from your team on this ticket.

I now can reproduce the problem reliably through a targetted script though I am still not certain of the root cause.

Can you poke at the beehive to get some kind of response on the support ticket you helped open?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop on this one George!

As a matter of fact, I just did

I've passed your comments to your existing ticket so we can have all the information there and also bumped its priority within our experts' queue so you should be hearing from them soon.

Meanwhile, if there's anything else I can do to assist, please let me know.

Have a lovely weekend! 

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

So Walter, the ticket you created was closed before I could fully digest the very long and very generic response...

...while I am no longer facing the problem, the workaround is something I came into on my own after personal black-box testing. I received NO HELP from the ticket.

This workaround basically involves me changing the way I do things because your product can't handle a switch from Wired LAN to WiFi across my multiple PC's. This to me is a flaw that should be addressed. I did not have a problem beforehand when I used Wired LAN across all my PC's.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?