cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Deleted Files

Recover Deleted Files

Explorer | Level 3

Hey ya'll,

I have a mac book pro that had all my main files on the desktop. I opened up my old mac book air and it started syncing those files from my main pro onto my air. Both computers were logged into my apple ID and Dropbox. 

I deleted the files off my old air...then when I looked over to my main pro, they disappeared from there too. I cannot see the deleted files in my Dropbox online account under 'deleted files'.

Can someone please help me find them and get them back?

Deenani

5 Replies 5

Re: Recover Deleted Files

Dropboxer

Hi @Deenani; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about your missing files.

To begin with, has our desktop app finished syncing on both of your devices? Is it showing 'Up to date' in your menu bar or is it still syncing your changes? 

If you can't find those files in your deleted files page, could you take a look at your events page and let me know if you can find and/or restore them from there?

Keep me posted, Deenani. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,

Thank you for your reply and help!

The 'My Mac folder', which must have transferred those now missing files, is synced on my old device (shows the green tick) but the 'My Mac folder' on my new device (which contained the missing files originally) is still syncing (shows the blue cycle symbol).

The menu bar of my old device is 'Up to date', but the menu bar of my new device is 'Syncing'. 

I cannot see the files in either the 'Deleted files page' or the 'Events page'. It's like they never existed.

Could it have been because I put them in 'Trash' and deleted them, instead of deleting them via Dropbox? Even though Dropbox transferred them onto my old device, where I deleted them, in the first place?

Sorry for the confusion. :grinning face with sweat:

Thanks,

Deenani

Dropboxer

Hey @Deenani, thanks for getting back to us. 

Have you by any chance had a look at your Trash on your old computer? 

If they're not there, could you let us know the current syncing status of your desktop app on both computers?

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Lusil,

Thank you for your reply!

The Trash on my old computer has been cleared so my files are not in there. And I don't think Apple has a function to find files once they are cleared from the trash. 

The syncing status on my old computer desktop is 'Up to date' and on my current computer it is 'Syncing 19 files 25MB'.

Kind Regards,

Deenani

Dropboxer

Hi @Deenani, the Mac folders are for separate device, so one computer wouldn't sync into another device's My Mac folder. On the Dropbox site, could you confirm which folders have data in them, the old or new Mac folder?

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?