cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover accidentally deleted files after a Rewind

Highlighted

Recover accidentally deleted files after a Rewind

Helpful | Level 6

I recently tried for the first time Dropbox Rewind to try and recover a Screenflow huge file that was corrupted due to the incompatibility of Screenflow with Dropbox.

However I made two mistakes:

• Chose the wrong moment to Rewind to ( about 28 hours ago) - and it is was not far back enough to find the really vital Screenflow File ( see elsewhere on the Forum a recent post abou this issue).

•  I then discovered that some current files I had been working on ( which I had forgotten were located in Dropbox) - were completely wiped out by the Rewind.

Could someone explain ( which the Dropbox Info does not do clearly enough) step - by - step the following:

How to see on 'Rewind'  and locate  - possibly view  the different versions of a file stored on  Dropbox over a 48 hour   time period  I have some key .numbers and .pages files that now need to be recovered from the disastrous rewind as well as the huge Screenflow project which is not yet recovered.

PS I should point out that one of my working practises is always to RENAME a given file which includes the date last used. So for example 'Motor Expenses'.pages which make contain years of information will be constantly renamed with the last time I opened the file - ie 'Motor Expenses Sunv. 23.09 16 Aug 2020'.pages would be the most recent name of the file.

Although this helps me locate immediately via Spotlight the file when I need it, from a Dropbox Box rewind point of view it is disastrous because  if I save this now,  Dropbox considers it a new file ( logically) and if I rewind to 48 hours ago this file and all its information of years is wiped out..

I need to  Forward Wind on Dropbox? Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Recover accidentally deleted files after a Rewind

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again @Adam G.18; I just got back to you on your other post too!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing with our Rewind feature.

I'm not sure if you've checked the following resource and I think you'll find your answer in the relevant Help Center article so I'd suggest that you took a look there:

Specifically, look for the header "What if I want a few changes back after the rewind?" as the steps mentioned there should help. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Recover accidentally deleted files after a Rewind

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again @Adam G.18; I just got back to you on your other post too!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing with our Rewind feature.

I'm not sure if you've checked the following resource and I think you'll find your answer in the relevant Help Center article so I'd suggest that you took a look there:

Specifically, look for the header "What if I want a few changes back after the rewind?" as the steps mentioned there should help. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?