cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover files from Public folder?

Recover files from Public folder?

eidsobr
Explorer | Level 3

Hey friends, I recently tried to access my Public folder to share files with others.  I discovered it missing and, after a quick search, found it was deprecated some time ago (not sure when this went into effect for me; I utilized my Public folder 3-6 times per year).  

I am almost certain I was never notified about this deprecation.  I'm a 0-email-in-the-inbox kind of guy.   Worse, I keep my files well-organized, so I didn't have duplicates of any of the files I had in my Public Dropbox folder--seeing as how they were "safely" backed up.  

Why wouldn't the deprecation at least keep the local copy of my Public folder?   I'm sure this is a long shot, but does Dropbox have any method for recovery?  Seeing as how I'm on the free service, I'm not permitted to contact them directly.

1 Reply 1

Re: Recover files from Public folder?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @eidsobr, I hope you're well today!

Only the links that were made for Public folders were deprecated back in 2017, but the folder itself wouldn't have been affected or removed.

If you were still using links to this folder more recently than this, it's possible you were using a shared link instead.

Could you confirm for me, when was the last time that you accessed the folder via the link? 

If you try and access the link now, are you getting an error? A screenshot of this would be very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?