cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Version History

Recovering Version History

CrtnyAbrams
Explorer | Level 3

I will like to get my version history for the 3-1 January 2021, but dropbox is only giving history up to the 4 January and it jumping all the way to September 2020. Could someone advise me on how I can get the information I am seeking?   

4 Replies 4

Re: Recovering Version History

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello @CrtnyAbrams, I hope you're having a good day!

It sounds like perhaps there were no edits saved on those days if they don't show in the version history there.

Are you possibly editing your files locally on your computer and have the desktop app installed? Or do you usually edit your files via the web browser or mobile app?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CrtnyAbrams
Explorer | Level 3

First of all, thank you, Daphne, for your response!

Now for the problem at hand, I edit my files locally, on my computer, and then automatically sync them with dropbox. Unnoticeably, the automatic syncing was disabled, and I did not realize it for a while. So you may be right, the gap between September and January may be the result of the file not being backed-up for this period. But that is not the main problem. The issue is that after the syncing process resumed, I try to sync my phone with the information on my computer and it seems that the opposite occurred the file on the phone replaced the files on the computer. Now the thing is I cannot remember the specific date and time I attempted this syncing in order to undo the process.       

Syncing

CrtnyAbrams
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a way for one to know when a phone sync occurred as opposed to when a computer sync occurred in dropbox?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @CrtnyAbrams.

Most likely, if the computer wasn't syncing for a prolonged period, when resuming sync on that device, it may be that the old versions of the files on the website synced down to your computer instead.

The mobile app is just like a reflection of the website, so checking Dropbox on your mobile wouldn't cause the files to be "synced" from your phone. 

This would mean that the edited versions of the files from your computer weren't uploaded to the Dropbox servers.

In this case, we would most likely need to look into restoring the edited versions from your computer locally instead of through Dropbox.

Have you tried restoring an older version of the file through the app you were using to edit the files?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?