cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Recovering from a CryptOLOcker virus attack

Recovering from a CryptOLOcker virus attack

Keith H.8
New member | Level 1

A CryptOLOcker virus was triggered on my computer on Thursday April 28 via a bogus Australia Post email. The computer was turned off until Monday May 2 when I had Telstra consultants working on the situation.  Late that day I discovered that the virus was infecting my Dropbox folders.  I therefore deleted all my Dropbox files to prevent the spread of the virus.

I understand that I may be able to recover all my files and folders to the situation prior to April 28 as I am within the 30 day window.  I followed the procedures described to restore deleted files in several folders after deleting the encrypted versions but then discovered many of my folders were unexpectedly empty.  I am not sure some of the other instructions like identifying a deletion event are appropriate for my situation.  I do not want to reactivate the virus!!!!  What should I do???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alexis G.1
Super User

Keith.

Please don't panic. Please follow the following instructions and recommendations:

Please request an event Rollback to Support: https://www.dropbox.com/help/9132

You are inside the 30 days Windows, so you will be fine.

The rollback can take hours or days because Support provide help on priority to Business Account, later on PRO, and at the end, to Free accounts.

During recovery, it's a good time to perform the following tasks on your PC:

• clean your computer from the malware. if you still have the malware, the recovered data will be infected and modified again!
  • a good practice is to remove Dropbox from your infected pc. When your data has been recovered by support, install Dropbox in another PC, download all your data and perform a full backup on HDD, DVD or USB memory, so your data is safe.
  • If you can, format and install the OS and APPs on the infected PC. IT experts nuke infected pc with malware due to nasty payload. If you can recover your system to factory default, do it. Remember to backup your data first.
  • Make a backup of your Dropbox data and all your important files from time to time. You can backup to NAS, dvd, bluray, hdd, usb memory disks, etc etc.
  • As an extra protection, you can install in the future a full auto transparent backup solution where you can restore your system back in case of malware, like Veeam Endpoint Backup
  • Check the security in your PC and laptops: antivirus, antimalware, windows updates, app updates and account permissions* very important!

If you have any doubt, we are here to help.

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Alexis G.1
Super User

Keith.

Please don't panic. Please follow the following instructions and recommendations:

Please request an event Rollback to Support: https://www.dropbox.com/help/9132

You are inside the 30 days Windows, so you will be fine.

The rollback can take hours or days because Support provide help on priority to Business Account, later on PRO, and at the end, to Free accounts.

During recovery, it's a good time to perform the following tasks on your PC:

• clean your computer from the malware. if you still have the malware, the recovered data will be infected and modified again!
  • a good practice is to remove Dropbox from your infected pc. When your data has been recovered by support, install Dropbox in another PC, download all your data and perform a full backup on HDD, DVD or USB memory, so your data is safe.
  • If you can, format and install the OS and APPs on the infected PC. IT experts nuke infected pc with malware due to nasty payload. If you can recover your system to factory default, do it. Remember to backup your data first.
  • Make a backup of your Dropbox data and all your important files from time to time. You can backup to NAS, dvd, bluray, hdd, usb memory disks, etc etc.
  • As an extra protection, you can install in the future a full auto transparent backup solution where you can restore your system back in case of malware, like Veeam Endpoint Backup
  • Check the security in your PC and laptops: antivirus, antimalware, windows updates, app updates and account permissions* very important!

If you have any doubt, we are here to help.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Keith H.8
New member | Level 1

Many thanks Alexis.  I have requested the rollback as per your suggestion.  My desktop computer is still with my IT support provider seeing whether a more recent update than July 2015 can be made to work.  I still have my fingers crossed.  I appreciate your effort in responding to my plea for help!  I'll follow the rest of your instructions when I get my computer back.

Regards.

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Keith H.8 wrote:

Many thanks Alexis.  I have requested the rollback as per your suggestion.  My desktop computer is still with my IT support provider seeing whether a more recent update than July 2015 can be made to work.  I still have my fingers crossed.  I appreciate your effort in responding to my plea for help!  I'll follow the rest of your instructions when I get my computer back.

Regards.

I'm wondering if at the end, was you able to recover your affected files thanks to the Rollback?

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?