cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering recently deleted old files

Recovering recently deleted old files

rb14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So this is more of a general question.

I'm an IT guy for a small buisness, and I want to make a dropbox account to backup all of our files (mostly documents).
I have a concern about your version history policy. It seems like it's only possible to restore deleted files that have been created only in the past 30 days (or 1 year in extended history). My concerns are what happens to file that's been sitting there untouched for, say, 2 years, and suddenly some employee decided to delete it. Right now it seems there isn't any possible way to restore it. I think that it would make more sense to keep files from the date they've been deleted/edited, rather than the day they've been created.

Most of our files are static files that won't change over time (though we still create new files constantly), but we use them frequently, and it's still important for us to be able to restore them after something happens by accident (or on purpose by a malicous employee).

By the way, Google Drive keeps the files for 30 days from the moment they were deleted (i.e. if there is a file that was created a year ago, and someone accidently deleted it, I can still restore it up to 30 days from the deletion date, rather than from the date it was created a year ago like in your policy).

I got to be honest and say that I prefer your service better, since I had a long and very good experience with it, but this files revisions/history policy is really one big disadvantage that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I mean, I believe most times that people will want to restore deleted files, it will be files they deleted accidently, possibly after a long time from their creation date.

So what I want to ask is if this policy is actually intentional, and if so, what's the reason behind it, and if you have any plans to change it some time soon?

Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've got two features mixed up - which works out good for you 🙂

So, if a file sits there, happily, for two years and is not touched and then deleted it IS recoverable for 30 days (longer if with extended recovery). However, if you EDIT that file but it hasnt been touched for two years you CAN NOT get the previous version back via the revisions recovery feature as *that part only* keeps files for 30 days.

However, please note that I cannot stress strongly enough to NOT rely upon any cloud syncing service (not just Dropbox) as a backup tool. It isnt. Its a syncing one.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've got two features mixed up - which works out good for you 🙂

So, if a file sits there, happily, for two years and is not touched and then deleted it IS recoverable for 30 days (longer if with extended recovery). However, if you EDIT that file but it hasnt been touched for two years you CAN NOT get the previous version back via the revisions recovery feature as *that part only* keeps files for 30 days.

However, please note that I cannot stress strongly enough to NOT rely upon any cloud syncing service (not just Dropbox) as a backup tool. It isnt. Its a syncing one.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rb14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for you answer. 

You are right, apparently in the experiment I made to make sure it doesn't keep the old file, I only tried to change it, not delete it. I assumed it works the same as for deletions. What you say is actually encouraging, but still, it makes more sense to also keep revisions from the edit date, rather than creation date. It's still possible that someone will accidently (or on purpose) temper with the files, and the moment they click "save", there's nothing you can do. This just seems like an odd behavior.. Google Drive for example will keep revisions for up to 30 days (or 100 revisions), from edit date.

I'm not sure what's your reason to not rely on cloud services like dropbox for backup too. I mean, the functionality is obviously there, and from my experience, dropbox is very reliable. Anyways, in our case, all we need is the ability to recover deleted files or tempered files within reason. We also try to make a local copy of the files once in a while, so in case of a disaster, we'll be able to get on our fit. We're not keeping any financial data, or something of really great importance there. Until now there was no actual backup at all, so... everything will be considered an upgrade.

I would still like to hear about the revisions policy (why is it like that? and if there are plans to change it?), if not for me, then for other users who might get surprised when they'll need to use this feature.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If I'm honest I cannot see the reason for the deletions/edits thing either. This is only a recent change as it was 30 days same as deletion, so, no I strongly doubt it will change again soon.

In terms of backups - have you tried to get a large restore back quickly via Dropbox or google (going to be honest and say i don't use it so cannot comment on their services). However, in terms of Dropbox you need support to do it - which takes at least a few *working* days. And if the tickets on here are anything to go by, often longer. I know I couldnt go that long without my data so I have actual backup systems in place.

rb14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As a student I was restoring files many times.

Deleted files is fairly easy, you go to your dropbox account, there is a button "Show deleted files", you click it, and then you click on the 3 dots near the file/folders you want to restore and click restore. It's pretty simple and works great.

As for restoring revisions, so yeah that might be a lot of work, going file by file, because apparently there aren't revisions for entire folders, but in that case this is still a fairly simple solution than the alternatives of setting up a full backup system which needs to be supported all the time (Me saying I'm the IT guy was probably an overstatement, they are a very small buisness, and I'm only providing help when needed, I'm not a full time employee there, and I have another full time job, so I can't fully support a backup system and make sure everything works all the time). Using affordable online services is a good enough solution.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Thats to restore one file tho rb14 - what about if your whole account is deleted or hit by a virus. That is what I'm on about. Can they be without that data for a week or more? THAT is what you need to ask them?

And backup solutions cost hardly nothing. It doesnt need to be complicated. It just needs to work. I use CrashPlan here from Code42. Its brill - and cheaper than Dropbox actually.

rb14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, you have some valid concerns. 

Obviously I didn't think this through, I was looking for the simplest solution possible, something that I'm also familiar with.

I appreciate your recommendation, I will definitely consider it.

Thanks for all your help!

I will keep this thread unsolved for a few days, maybe there is someone from dropbox who will answer my original question about the revisions history policy, it's still important for me.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I doubt you'll get a formal answer I'm afraid - especially as (sadly) what I said is accurate. Like I said it still seems (in my head) a weird change to make.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    rb14 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?