cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding unable to upload some files.

Regarding unable to upload some files.

weiming
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Im currently using Dropbox to upload some folders from my pendrive. But apparently when i tried to upload those files, a message popped-up saying that "Unable to upload one or more files" "The following files are not supported by Dropbox and cannot be be uploaded: Thumbs.db, INV-YWM8(5)18 YUNG-18050007A,18050007B.XLSX, INV-YWM9(5)18-18050008.xls and 2 more." which some of these files were excel files.

After a couple of attempts, I just created a couple of folders and uploaded all of those files into their respective folders but so far I have not received any pop-ups saying "The following files are not supported by ...." and I am able to open those files in dropbox too. 

Is this some sort of bug because these files are mostly just excel files? Did anyone else have this issue? Thank you for reading to this message.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Regarding unable to upload some files.

weiming
New member | Level 2

Nvm, I have found out the issue. Turns out those files were corrupted. My bad.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

weiming
New member | Level 2

Nvm, I have found out the issue. Turns out those files were corrupted. My bad.

lgoldstein01
Explorer | Level 4

I am also having issues syncing and/or uploading selected files. I have several large Acronis True Image backups (.tibx) ranging from @ 2.5 to 2.6 TB that Dropbox is telling me cannot be synced and it cannot upload directly. These are stored on a NAS (I'm also using Boxifier to sync certain folders on the NAS) and I had hoped to use Dropbox to give me a means of storing them off-site. There is no explanation WHY they cannot be synced or uploaded. Dropbox just tells me the files are not supported.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @lgoldstein01, how are you uploading these files to Dropbox?

Are you dragging and dropping them into the Dropbox folder for the desktop app to sync them?

Or are you uploading to the site directly, or using the Boxifier service, or via another app built into the NAS device?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lgoldstein01
Explorer | Level 4
Hi. I started just using Boxifier's automatic syncing with DBX (folder added to Boxifier then Dropbox normally just works). When that showed the error, I opened the website and tried to upload the files from there. Both give the same result, telling me that the files are unsupported, I do t expect Dropbox to be able to open/display them. It it should be able to copy and store them. Tx.

Jay
Dropboxer
Most likely, due to the size of the file, it wouldn't be possible to upload it directly via the site.

If you moved the file into the Dropbox folder, without using Boxifier, it should sync normally.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lgoldstein01
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, but that's wholly impractical (and defeats the purpose). The files in question are full backups of my entire system. They can't be backed up TO the machine that's being backed up and transfering the backups to the Dropbox folder on the machine would quickly fill it up. The whole point of the NAS and Boxifier is to support this solution. I get why the website might not support such a large file but if Dropbox would handle the sync, that should also be true using Boxifier and the NAS. EVERYTHING else on the NAS that is set to be synced works.

Jay
Dropboxer
Files of any size are supported on the Dropbox site.

As you're using a NAS, which is unsupported by Dropbox, and another service, namely Boxifier, there isn't anything else we can suggest from our end.

You can try contacting them directly to see if they have any information on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lgoldstein01
Explorer | Level 4

I understand the inclination to pass the buck to Boxifier but this is your error message, not theirs. And it doesn't tell me anything useful, nor do the "learn more" page. Is there a limit to how long DBX will attempt to sync a given file? Since this involves files that are 2.5TB+. I wonder if Dropbox is simply timing out. If so, the problem is on your end.

FWIW, I am a Dropboxer parent and a longtime customer, not to mention 35 years in tech. There must be a way around this.

Re: Regarding 'unable to upload some files'.

AliceFromDallas
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem but perhaps for different reasons, and I need help with this.  Dropbox is saying that it cannot upload some 150 files because they are "web-based files" with file types that I do not recognize and can't find in my File Explorer.  My documents are mostly PDF files which I have created or are public domain research files in a PDF format.  There are a few Word and PowerPoint documents and a few excel files.  How can I find a list of the files that can't be uploaded so that I can address the issue?  Many thanks for any help the community can provide.  

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

abdulwasiu New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
    AliceFromDallas New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?