cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalled the desktop app and the old Dropbox folder takes up space

Reinstalled the desktop app and the old Dropbox folder takes up space

jasongosmo
Explorer | Level 3

So i have de-installed dropbox from my C drive, and installed it on my D drive, since it has way more space available.

Now i scanned my C drive, and there are lots of dropbox files still in my C drive.

Is it safe to delete the dropbox files from my C drive, without harming the dropbox files from the D drive?

I already tested it out, and made a "test" map, it didn't get added to the C drive.
I also tested it by deleting one map i didn't need really on the C drive. it didn't go away on my D drive, it still exists there.

Before taking actions, i want to make sure this doesn't harm my files on my D drive, since i have lots of stuff backed up there. (worked etc.)

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox space

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @jasongosmo, thanks for checking in with us. 

You are right, it sounds like the new Dropbox folder that's on your D drive is the one syncing online. 

If that is the case, you can safely remove the one in your C drive.

You can double-check the location of the active Dropbox folder from your desktop app's Preferences. 

Could you have a look and let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jasongosmo
Explorer | Level 3

After some testing with making files, deleting some uncessecary items, putting some items into a certain map, i was certain i was safe and i could delete the stuff on my C drive.

Everything is still there on my D drive!

Made around the 50/55gb available on my C drive of the 250.

So that's a really good thing.

Thanks for replying though, even though i already took action before you sent the reply on my forum message.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Glad to hear that, @jasongosmo

If anything else comes up in the future, you know where to find us - just give us a shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?