cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Dropbx with auto sync of desktop files caused files themselve to be erased from desktop

Reinstalling Dropbx with auto sync of desktop files caused files themselve to be erased from desktop

mark b.92
Explorer | Level 3

I reset Windows 10 a few days ago because of a virus. After I reinstalled Dropbox, I unwisely I now realize, chose the optioin for Dropbox to autosync my desktop files. The result was that I got a message from Dropbox that I had run out of space in Dropbox.

I do not want to increase my space in Dropbox. But now most of the files that were on my desktop (before the autosync) are gone.

Is there any way I can undo what happened in the autosync, so that I can get my files back?

Thanks,

Mark

5 Replies 5

Problem monving contents of dropbox folder on my PC (Windows 10) to USB

mark b.92
Explorer | Level 3

When I copy the Dropbox folder on my PC to a flash drive:, only the folders copied, not documents that were not in a folder.  The operating system is Windows 10/

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Problem monving contents of dropbox folder on my PC (Windows 10) to USB

Elixir
Super User

By any chance, you have smart sync enabled? Seems like the files are set to online-only. 

Re: Reinstalling Dropbx with auto sync of desktop files caused files themselve to be erased from ...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mark b.92, thanks for posting today!

I understand your concern over the missing files. Could you check if you've disabled the computer backup feature on the Dropbox desktop application?

If there are any deleted files, you can try recovering them from the Dropbox site.

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Reinstalling Dropbx with auto sync of desktop files caused files themselve to be erased from ...

mark b.92
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your interest.  I had the files on a separate machine, so I was able to restore them.

Mark

Jay
Dropboxer
Excellent news, @mark b.92! If you need any help in future, please let me know.

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?