cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of duplicate photos in my dropbox photo library

Removal of duplicate photos in my dropbox photo library

Hap H.
New member | Level 1

I somehow uploaded several hundred photos from my iphone to dropbox. Not sure how I did it, but now I see a lot of duplicate photos in dropbox (carousel).

54 Replies 54

Lindsey H.2
New member | Level 1

I'd like to know where the local photo folder is in Dropbox. If I could find this I would simply drag onto Gemini... But I have a feeling this is easier said than done. I hate when tech becomes too technical. I like folders.

Tomas G.4
New member | Level 1

Please solve the "remove duplicates" problem.

I have to many pictures to be able to sync to my desktop. 

Susan R.23
New member | Level 2

Can someone help me understand how the duplicate photos are getting into DropBox so I can avoid future duplicates?

Deeksha P.
New member | Level 1

Here's what I've found - I had uploaded the "pictures" folder from my computer to Dropbox which included the Photos library.photoslibrary folder (maybe the folder that apple uses to sync devices?). This folder has multiple copies of each photo I've taken (master file, original file, and sometimes edited file). When I view pictures using the "pictures tab" in dropbox, I end up being shown the multiple copies of all my photos from both the Camera Uploads files (automatically from my iPhone into dropbox) plus the Photo library copies of the images.

I'm not sure what to do about the issue though - I don't want to delete the photos library folder from dropbox without downloading it back to my computer (however, I don't know the file size and can't determine if it will fit on my hard drive or not). As a result, I feel that the dropbox "photos" tab is basically unusable for me as it displays way too many duplicates. 

Robin I.
New member | Level 1

I go to Dropbox camera uploads, then in the search box type "-2" and it pulls up many duplicates.  Have to watch it because sometimes the -2 is an auto-close-up and sometimes its a part of a date tag (2015-12-20 for example.  But it did shorten the process considerably

Costa A.
New member | Level 1

This is absolute insanity!  Deleting the dupes is not only tedious but an endless job!  As soon as I delete them, Dropbox starts uploading them again from my phone!  This not only chews up my mobile data, but it also maxes out my available space.  I have contacted Dropbox support about this, only to get useless, canned responses.  I have searched for solutions anywhere online, only to come up empty.

Could this "flaw" be 'by-design' to force basic users like me to pay for an upgrade to Pro?  Please, please, please FIX THIS already... I am a programmer and this is really NOT that hard to do!!

Marlene S.2
Explorer | Level 4

I totally agree.... It is awful that no way has been created yet for deleting duplicates

Alex L.25
New member | Level 1

In the file with the duplicates select every image that you want to delete by clicking ABOVE the name/text of the image. Do not click on the name or it will open the file. On a Mac you keep the command button pressed as you click-select every image (each box turns pale blue once selected) which means all these selected image turn blue. Finally, after selecting all, right click for the list that includes 'delete' and press this. I don't think there is a quicker way. 

Marlene S.2
Explorer | Level 4

You miss the point, Alex. We need a way to "Find" the duplicates in order to delete them. I can do this on my laptop with a duplicate fixer app, but would like an app or function to do that on my IPhone, which is what I use almost exclusively. Thanks for trying.

Mirko H.
New member | Level 1

absolutely annoying! 

since > 1 year, i also get duplicates downloaded for nearly every picture. the original for example is "2016-07-25 12.41.44.jpg", the duplicate is named "2016-07-25 12.41.44-1.jpg"

either dropbox is able to fix this bug until the end of my subscription period, or i will change to another cloud service.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Simon E.11 New member | Level 1
    Meghan M. Helpful | Level 5
    Jane E.1 New member | Level 2
    Mike D.30 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?