cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of duplicate photos in my dropbox photo library

Removal of duplicate photos in my dropbox photo library

Hap H.
New member | Level 1

I somehow uploaded several hundred photos from my iphone to dropbox. Not sure how I did it, but now I see a lot of duplicate photos in dropbox (carousel).

54 Replies 54

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
I think someone has found the responsible app. There is a Samsung "feature" that creates "events" out of your photos and possibly videos... Without being turned on and without informing you that it's doing this. (Maybe the next thing they can "give" us without asking is something to take all of our emails and texts and photos on a given day, and combine them into little stories! Wouldn't that be swell!) Anyway, go to Gallery and find Events (in a little pull-down menu), and turn off Auto-Create Events. Thanks to rin for finding this!

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
I've been monitoring this thread as I have similar issues. But - like the original poster - I am using an iPhone and iPad. Not a Samsung device.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

GO
New member | Level 2

I got iPhone and camera upload two folders with same pictures. The only difference is Camera upload has difference file names (data and time) whereas iPhone folders has the same name what I see in my Phone IMG...

Can't sort out this issue, thousands of images and videos in dulicate. If I stop camera upload then iPhone folders also becomes blank.

Karvin
New member | Level 2

I use DuplicateFilesDeleter. It works like a charm, always!

Annie B.8
Helpful | Level 5

I have been dealing with this for a long time. another issue is that I take a lot of pictures and then make edits (also on my other phones) mos tly for posting items I want to sell. But when I go to post the final edited image, all of them are there and I have no idea which is the one I decided to use.  I also have the problem of having as many as 10 duplicates of the same picture, sometimesI want to keep randomly  within the same folder, as well as in many other folders. I never get a message that there already one and which one do  I want to keep. And they all have different image sizes and I need to look at them both to see which I want keep choose. want to move all my pictures off dropbox folders and Dropbox.com. I can't even just move them to a flash drive, I can only copy. So i create a new folder on laptop, move dropbox folders to that new forlder ad delete them on dropbox.There has got to be a better way! If I cancel my dropbox account, I will lose everything. So many are from places (other old external drives or otherwise unable to acess, etc) I do like that feature on Dropbox, because I have photos as old as 2003. but they'll be gone. I am not very experienced on windows or Android. I bought a new  256GB laptop and it has no more space it's all from Dropbox. It's very frustrating and confusing this way, Especially since there are so many duplicates in so many folders. I want to move them all to Google Photos. (which is a whole! separate thing I have'nt learned bout).  I don't know if I move the entire folders from Dropbox folder  and delete the now-empty folders from Dropbox in Windows on my laptop. will Dropbox create a new folder again or will it not upload if there is no longer that folder in dropbox folder.   I have 50,000 pictures in so may places in so many different folders so manually deleting all the duplicates is not an option. I just don't know what to do. Bottom line I guess is I want to keep everything on dropbox.com as well as my laptop Dropbox folder. I've paused syncing on Dropbox untill I can deal with this issue first, Of course, I imagine I will have the same problems if I turn on sync dropbox again. And then closing my account while still havsing all the photos -minus all the duplicates- I now have on my phone and not uploaded anywhere yet. If anyone can make sense out of any of this post and help me out, Thank you. Again, I am sorry for the long, confusing post. Oh, and I can't move the new folder created for all my files copied from Dropbox in order get everthing on a flash drive and then delete my Dropbox folder because there is not enough space on my flash drive. I don't know which files will fit without finding out how big every file is and move that many to  flash drive. As you can see, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY no idea what I'm doing and I don't have anyone who can help me. The last time I had a computer company tech come help me. I ended up with so many files not copied, and  gone forever....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Simon E.11 New member | Level 1
    Meghan M. Helpful | Level 5
    Jane E.1 New member | Level 2
    Mike D.30 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?