cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove DB from work computer if laid off

Remove DB from work computer if laid off

Brent Eynon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Forum,

Unfortunately I did not make it through the covid gauntlet. I was laid off and was not able to disconnect/remove my Dropbox account from my ex-work computer before leaving. I moved all of my files out of DB to my local home computer hard drive ASAP so no one at my old job can peruse, delete, etc. How can I be absolutely sure it's safe to use DB again? I noticed (at my work computer) that even if I logged out, I could still access files within windows file folder structure.

Thnx, Brent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Brent Eynon!

I would indeed hope too that they would wipe the computer before passing the device into another user.

What I can suggest here to make sure that the files in your account can't be affected by this device would be to unlink the ex-work computer through your Security page online.

Once you've done this, you can also remove any older web sessions too (with the "X" to the right of the entry) and even change your password for good measure.

I hope this info helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Brent Eynon, I'm sorry to hear about the situation.

Since you've removed the files that were in your Dropbox account, the next time that your work computer would come online and the desktop app launched, it would sync the deletion of these files on the computer.

However, if you've already unlinked that computer from your Dropbox account then there's not much I can suggest I'm afraid as the link has been disconnected and the Dropbox folder would remain on the computer.

Would you mind letting me know if you've already unlinked the device?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Brent Eynon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I haven't unlinked my ex-work computer (or wasn't given the opportunity to) - that's my concern. IT Dept from my ex-employer will probably wipe my ex-work computer, which they should. But... if they don't, any files in my Dropbox folder (still residing on that ex-work computer) may be comprimised. All of my files are safe for now though. I downloaded all of them to my personal hard-drive. My root question is: how to I continue to use Dropbox safely (not worrying about wht happens with my ex-work computer) so I can sync with my phone, iPad, web use on other computers, etc.?  Thnx, Brent

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Brent Eynon!

I would indeed hope too that they would wipe the computer before passing the device into another user.

What I can suggest here to make sure that the files in your account can't be affected by this device would be to unlink the ex-work computer through your Security page online.

Once you've done this, you can also remove any older web sessions too (with the "X" to the right of the entry) and even change your password for good measure.

I hope this info helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Brent Eynon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Daphne - that makes total sense... just didn't quite know (remember) how to navigate to that spot under Security Settings. I had already changed my password as well.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that helped @Brent Eynon!

If there's anything else that I can help with, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. :grin:

Wishing you a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Brent Eynon Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?