cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove an Old Dropbox Backup

Remove an Old Dropbox Backup

myoathkeeper
New member | Level 2

I had an old Dropbox backup set to backup my documents, downloads, and desktop on an old Mac computer.  I recently received a new Mac computer.  After migrating all of my documents/data onto my new computer, I did a factory restore to my old computer and gave it to a friend.  I currently have a Dropbox subscription and have set it up to start backing up my new Mac computer just like my old one.  However, I've noticed that I have two Macbook Pro Backups now on my dropbox account.  One is named "My Mac (****'s MacBook Pro)" and the other is listed as "My Mac (****s-MBP.attlocal.net)."  I believe the second one is the backup meant for my new Mac... however, I am finding that the backup meant for my old Mac has somehow synced information from it onto my new computer, with some of the documents from my old Mac appearing occasionally or new files being saved onto the old backup.  I also see this old backup listed when I click on the "Dropbox" icon on the sidebar of any new finder window, while the new backup is not listed.  I do believe the new backup I set up is working, as I do see new files created since I got my new Mac on my Dropbox account, but the existence of the old backup is causing some confusion when I'm saving files, as sometimes I don't know if I'm saving files locally on my computer or accidentally saving them through "alias" files and folders that are still connected to the old backup.

The long and the short of this is, is there someway to remove this old backup from my Dropbox account and remove any of its remnants from my new computer while still keeping the new backup that I set up intact? 

1 Reply 1

Re: Remove an Old Dropbox Backup

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @myoathkeeper; welcome to our Community and thanks for using our computer backup feature!

Could you try unlinking the old device from your account's Security tab and let me know if that helped improve matters?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?