cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing My Mac folders from Dropbox

Removing My Mac folders from Dropbox

JM_605
Explorer | Level 3

Hello - I have on on-going issue that I need help.  I wish to remove the “My Mac” folders (/Desktop, /Downloads and /Documents directories using a .local folder) from my Dropbox account that got erroneously installed during the set-up of a new computer (running Big Sur 11.1).  Unfortunately,  I have been unable to disable the "computer backup" feature under my account, preferences, etc.   It only says SET UP (but I have already set it up).  In addition, I cannot get the device unlinked from dropbox.com when I try that method.  

All of this is is all being done on the same device where computer backup was set up, but it is still not working.  I need some help undoing this. 

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @JM_605, thanks for joining the Community!

I understand your frustration over this matter. What happens when you click 'Set up', does it show any folders being selected already?

Could you describe why you can't unlink the the device from the Dropbox site? What error do you get, and have you tried another browser to do so?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Hyperion07
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue Jay @330248. My computer was stolen and I used Time Machine and then Dropbox to restore it onto a new MacBook Pro. Interesting my Mac folder, was now renamed Mac (2). Always bugged me a little, but not a big problem. I recently decided to stop backing up my Mac key folders (Desktop, Downloads, Documents) to dropbox. However when I go to turn off backup, it only suggests starting backup. As in setting up a new one. I tried this and it created a Mac (3) folder. Oh dear. I opened DropBox Backup (the mac app) and it mentioned I could only edit or access Mac (2) using the original computer it was set up on. This is impossible as that computer is gone. All I want to do is stop Dropbox and move my folders back to their original location (my user folder). I've tried also just manually to move the folders back to their location, but Dropbox pops up an error saying that can only be done within Dropbox. I've tried clicking Alt-H (option-H on Mac) but this also doesn't show me that fabled "Reset OS folder locations" button. What can I do? If I uninstall DropBox from my Mac will it put them back, or leave with the files?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Hyperion07, welcome to our Community! 

If I understand the situation correctly, both Mac (2) & Mac (3) are the same device, right? Can you clarify which one you want to disable? 

When you try to access them using our website, do you see the same content there? Have you tried to follow these steps, in order to disable the Backup on your current device? 

If you uninstall the app, the files will remain in your Dropbox folder, since uninstalling the app won't remove the content off of your device. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hyperion07 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?