cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Shared Files

Removing Shared Files

BeaCoombes
New member | Level 2

I have a number of shared files in my dropbox account - some are very large and I no longer need access to them.  I tried the delete option but this removed them for everyone.  I want to just remove access for myself, however when I click on the list of people who have access to the file I have no drop down option for myself - it just says I can edit the file but with no option to remove myself.  I can remove others, just not myself.  Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Many thanks

1 Reply 1

Re: Removing Shared Files

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@BeaCoombes wrote:

...  I want to just remove access for myself, however when I click on the list of people who have access to the file I have no drop down option for myself - it just says I can edit the file but with no option to remove myself.  I can remove others, just not myself.

Hi @BeaCoombes,

In your issue description your are saying "it just says I can edit the file" and "I can remove others, just not myself". Are you sure both thing together could be seen that on the corresponding entry (file or folder)? 🧐 They are mutually exclusive! The first could be seen in case someone has shared something to you. The second, just opposite, when you have shared to other users. In both cases something gets shared, but in different direction; go on step by step (one by one) to be clear what you are talking about.

There is always option to leave particular sharing from the list of shares. Choose "Remove from Dropbox" from corresponding ellipsys menu there:

Screenshot_20210126_165241.png

But better use the other options from "Share".

In case someone shares something to you, there is always an option "Remove my access" there:

Screenshot_20210126_165810.png

In case you share to other people then you are the owner and better transfer the ownership in advance to someone else of your choice using "Make owner" in corresponding member menu:

Screenshot_20210126_170528.png

So the particular sharing will not be left unmanaged (or partially managed) without owner. Once you are no more the owner you can get out using already explained above (the previous screenshot). 😉

Hope this helps.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?