cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing files w/o deleting from computer

Removing files w/o deleting from computer

New member | Level 2

Hello. I downloaded Dropbox so that I could send a large file. As soon as Dropbox was set up, it sucked up all the available space with random files automatically. Now I am unable to share the file I must share and when I try to delete items from Dropbox, those files are permanently deleted from my computer as well (skipping the recycle bin on the way out). I've looked for help online and experimented with the answer I've found on files I can afford losing and to this point, all those files have been deleted permanently. I am need in of any help a knowledgeable person can offer. I really must get this file shared asap. Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Re: Removing files w/o deleting from computer

Dropboxer

Hello @Acampbell99, let's see what we can do on this together. 

It sounds like you're referring to computer backup, which adds computer folders (like Downloads, Desktop, and Documents) to your Dropbox folder.

For this reason, could you let me know the following pieces of information?

• Are you able to find the files you're looking for in your local Dropbox folder or the Files tab online?
  • What does your events page show about these files?
  • Do you still have the desktop app installed and running on your device?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. Please tell me how to delete files in drop box without deleting from computer. I'm freaking out about it.

Dropboxer

Hi there @ninicholson; thanks for joining the discussion here.

When you choose to disable the computer backup feature, you'll get an option to "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" -which would be the one you'll need to choose- or "Leave content in Dropbox". 

Let us know how this works out for you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?