cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renamed a file and lost previous versions

Renamed a file and lost previous versions

Stephen B.21
New member | Level 1

I update one of my files every week and therefore have a number of previous versions. However today I decided to rename the file and now I don't have ANY of my previous versions???
Please help 🙂

11 Replies 11

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Have you considers the most obvious act?
Lets see today when I RENAMED MY FILE i lost all the version history.
Tomorrow when you RENAME YOUR FILE BACK AGAIN, you might find them.

Stephen B.21
New member | Level 1

Great idea Dave.

Tried it today and the same thing happened. There was the current version and a old version, then after the rename there were no other versions.

Jim C.55
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I renamed a file and cant find previous

Mark
Super User II

The previous versions will be attached to the original file's name. 

Go back to the original files names for the previous versions. 

The new named file is a new file, so has no history. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Stephen B.21
New member | Level 1

That is NOT how version control works. I've been managing DMS (Document Management Systems) at work and over the years I have not heard of anything as ridiculous as that. Another reason why I don't use Dropbox anymore. Google Drive does the same and more. 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

@Stephen B.  DB does not supply a DMS, it supplies a synced document/file system. 

The version of each file inserted into the system is tracked and stored under the filename of the file inserted/edited/removed. It never claimed to be a management system where a rename or move would be tracked, in fact the whole idea of that is pretty hard to grasp on a post event basis (which DB is doing), DMS require you to check in and check out etc, Db just watches for anything you do.

Stephen B.21
New member | Level 1

Thanks for confirming its another reason to NOT use Dropbox and continue using Google Drive. I tested the version control in Google Drive and it works as per a DMS system (checking in and out is not what I'm talking about) where you can rename a file but keep the previous versions. 

Victory D.
New member | Level 2

Simply look at the deleted files. The old deleted name one will have history.

Stephen B.21
New member | Level 1

That is the best you can come up with?! If Google Drive can manage it the Dropbox can (especially considering cloud storage is the ONLY service they offer). 

Need more support?