cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Folders without resyncing all files

Renaming Folders without resyncing all files

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I use Dropbox Sync to backup dropbox on an external hardrive.  A while back Dropbox dropped exFat support so I have had to reimage my harddrive and sync all files back onto it.  I have had issues in the past with renaming folders.  Here is my question:

If all syncing is complete and I rename a folder on the Dropbox web interface, will it rename it on my harddrive without resyncing everything and/or renaming folders with the "selective sync" suffix?  I had issues with this last year but it has been some time since I tried it again.  I have a folder with 100's of GB's of information and want to rename it, but do not want to do so if it is going to require an entire resync of the data.  I just want to change the name.

Let me know, thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: Renaming Folders without resyncing all files

Dropboxer

Hi @bjmullins1990, thanks for checking in. 

Renaming a folder on the web will prompt the desktop app to reflect that change as well. 

It might check for changes that occurred to its files, but this should generally happen without necessarily syncing completely, since the files exist already. 

If you're concerned that a folder might get a selective sync conflict in its name, remember that this happens when you create a folder with the same name and in the same location as an unsynced folder. 

So renaming a folder on the web that you've selectively synced, won't have an effect on it on your device.

I hope this helps, but let me know if something else comes up. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?