cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Renaming the «Mac» folder ...

Renaming the «Mac» folder ...

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I choose to sync some folders on my computer with Dropbox.  On my original computer Dropbox named the parent folder «Mac» and kept it hidden.

I migrated to a new iMac.  Doing this, I had to reinstall Dropbox and to sync back my data.  Dropbox created a new parent folder and named it «Mac (2) ».  I moved the content of the original «Mac» folder and deleted the folder.   I want to rename it «Mac».  I cannot do that from the Finder.

How can I do that ?

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@rlesperance wrote:

Dropbox created a new parent folder and named it «Mac (2) ».  I moved the content of the original «Mac» folder and deleted the folder.   I want to rename it «Mac».

To the best of my knowledge, you can't rename the folders used for the Computer Backup feature. Dropbox will use a different folder for each computer.

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Dropbox renamed it to «Mac (2)», most probably because the original «Mac» folder was still in the Dropbox folder when I reinstalled it.

Could I simply stop syncing, moved the «Mac (2)» folder out of my local Dropbox folder and reinstall Dropbox ?  

geisery
Helpful | Level 5

I have the exact same problem. But my initial dropbox-folder was not even named 'Mac', now I am setting up a new Macbook and I am stuck with 'Mac (2)' and the name of the old folder. Any ideas?

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hi geisery,

That's what I am asking:  Could I simply stop syncing, move the «Mac (2)» folder out of my local Dropbox folder and reinstall Dropbox ?  

I have received no response and it's been a while.  For me it's the obvious response but wanted to be confirmed and also wanted to know if there was a simpler way to do that.  .  

By stop syncing and, probably, deleting the Dropbox app ?, my computer would be disconnected from Dropbox.  Then I would move the problem folder, Mac (2) or whatever, from the Dropbox folder to somewhere safe on my computer.  And finally, by reinstalling Dropbox, all my files in my Dropbox in the cloud would just sync back to my computer.  When all is done and verified, I will delete the moved folder.  

I will try it.  Since my files would be protected somewhere on my computer, doing that is safe enough.  

Hope this helps.

geisery
Helpful | Level 5

Alright, sounds good! I am interessted in your findings, so keep me posted if you don't mind 🙂

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hi geisery,

Like I said ...  I want that the Dropbox hidden folder of the sync my Mac Dropbox option to be named «Mac» and not «Mac (2).  Would prefer to choose the name but that seems impossible.

So I disconnected my computer from Dropbox and moved my original documents to a temporary folder.  I then emptied the content of my Dropbox on the web.

I moved my documents back in the «Documents» folder and on my desktop.  I reconnected to Dropbox and selected to sync my Mac (Documents and Desktop folders).  Dropbox named my computer «Mac (2)» again.  

In simple, my strategy did not work.  Would have hoped a senior Dropbox advisor would have dropped in the conversation.  I am not very lucky with my Dropbox posts.  

Have you finally found a way to do that ?

albertravn
New member | Level 2

I have the exact same problem... I have folders "Mac", "Mac 2" and "Mac 3", and would love to rename them to "Work computer", "Home" or similar, so it would be easier to distinguish which is which. Dropbox admins, please respond to the thread about whether or not this is possible. Thanks 

Need more support?