cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Video - Keep Same Link?

Replace Video - Keep Same Link?

georgeloomis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, is it possible for me to replace a video in a folder while retaining the same link? Willing to upgrade as necessary as this is for a colleague. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Replace Video - Keep Same Link?

Rich
Super User II

@georgeloomis wrote:

Will you please specify how to "overwrite" once I've uploaded the new video?

Just upload the file with the exact same name as the current file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@georgeloomis wrote:
is it possible for me to replace a video in a folder while retaining the same link?

As long as you overwrite the existing file without deleting it, the link will be retained.

It's best to save the file elsewhere first, and then move or copy the file into the folder, overwriting the original, or upload it via the Dropbox website. The reason for this is that when some applications save an existing file, they sometimes delete the existing copy and replace it with the new copy. Such a save would cause the original link to become invalid.

georgeloomis
Explorer | Level 3

Rich, thank you. Roger that. Will you please specify how to "overwrite" once I've uploaded the new video? Following you but unsure how to complete that overwrite - i.e. which tabs to click to make this happen? Your reply is greatly appreciated.

George

Rich
Super User II

@georgeloomis wrote:

Will you please specify how to "overwrite" once I've uploaded the new video?

Just upload the file with the exact same name as the current file.

View solution in original post

georgeloomis
Explorer | Level 3

this worked immediately. Thanks man! 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?