cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Replacing a file with a newer version

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm stuck. I have a PDF that has an associated TinyURL link to it to clients. I need to update the PDF. I thought if I named the newer version to the existing one in my drop box that it would simply replace the file in my box however it didn't.

Since you can't remove the TINYURL I need someway to update the existing PDF to the new version (while retaining the shared link).

I've searched the forums but still am having no luck.

Help!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Replacing a file with a newer version

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter!

Annnnnnnnd I'm a total idiot. Even after putting my glasses on (and taking them off 3 times) I realized that I typo'd the name. Instead of Kitchen, I put "Ktichen" so that's why it created 2 files.  Once I remove the wrong one, changed the name and re-drug the corrected name one in, it updated the existing file and the TINYURL isn't broken either.

Thank you so much for your fast response to help! 

Happy Holidays!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @LoriMo - thanks for using Dropbox!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to access the shared link (correct me if I got this bit wrong) from the PDF file you mentioned?

Can you also let me know on what device you're working on and the steps you take to do this so I can repro on my end? 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter!

Annnnnnnnd I'm a total idiot. Even after putting my glasses on (and taking them off 3 times) I realized that I typo'd the name. Instead of Kitchen, I put "Ktichen" so that's why it created 2 files.  Once I remove the wrong one, changed the name and re-drug the corrected name one in, it updated the existing file and the TINYURL isn't broken either.

Thank you so much for your fast response to help! 

Happy Holidays!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your prompt reply Lori; I'm glad to hear you've worked this out in the end 

Happy Holidays too 

On a closing note, if you ever come up with a Dropbox question; you know where to find us. We're always happy to help!

Cheers 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?