cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Smart Sync To Online Only for All Files?

Reset Smart Sync To Online Only for All Files?

ninjaVanish
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After finishing a few large projects, I am working to reduce the space used on my laptop. Is it possible to reset the smart sync status without having to right clicking on each folder? I wish to change the status of all current files to online only.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Select everything all at once, then right-click. You don't have to do it one folder at a time. Select as few or as many folders and files as you want, even all of them. You can also right-click on the Dropbox folder itself and set it to Online-Only. Note that if you have a lot of files to change, it will take a while and will appear to be downloading files while it's happening. Just let it work.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Select everything all at once, then right-click. You don't have to do it one folder at a time. Select as few or as many folders and files as you want, even all of them. You can also right-click on the Dropbox folder itself and set it to Online-Only. Note that if you have a lot of files to change, it will take a while and will appear to be downloading files while it's happening. Just let it work.

kimmydesign
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I just did this with a large folder that takes up a lot of space. I already have some folders set as Online Only so it's technically a Mixed State folder. I got a message from my computer and dropbox that I was out of space, so I selected the folder and clicked 'Online Only' except it now appears to be downloading everything and I'm watching the small amount of space on my harddrive dwindle down to nothing and I can't do anything about it! Dropbox said it can't sync because there isn't enough space, but my laptop is 100% dropbox, I don't keep anything locally so I can't delete anything to free up space.

Help!

BLT1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same here - selected some folders for 'Online Only' but it appeared to be downloading everything...the small amount of space on my hard drive dwindled down to nothing...then the "Smart Sync" stopped, saying it can't sync because my hard drive is full. Isn't Smart Sync supposed to free up space on my hard drive, not fill it up?

Help!

Margaret M.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I hope there's an answer that's better than this "best" answer. I thought it was worth paying extra to have files automatically save to online only, but that's not what happens. Even though I set Dropbox up to be "online only" and have set individual folders the same, I have to let them sync, then go back in later and change them to "online only". If I do this, it does save space on my laptop, but where I live now the internet connections are slow/limited bandwidth, and it takes a really long time with big files, and clogs up my limited internet connection.

gauta
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The issues BLT1 and kimmydesign are facing are also affecting me. When I right click and select "online only" they don't seem to change; it stays on 'local'. Also new files seem to default to local, despite having my default settings be 'online only.'

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.20.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.22.26 AM.png

Bye bye hard drive space. 😞

tonyyvnn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What a joke!!!!!  

Wheres the solved solution???  Just wasyed 30 minutes of my life on this.

Thanks Dropbox cannot do any work on my computer and Dropbox wont sync because i have no space left...

How the hell do I fix this???????????????????????????????????????????????

nolanneal
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Come on.. Please be real with everyone and admit that there's a bug in the dropbox app that makes it KEEP ON DOWNLOADING THE FILES OVER AND OVER NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU FREAKING SELECT ONLINE ONLY!!!!   Why!!! ?

I'm about to delete drobox and never look back 

tonyyvnn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am still having the same issue after i reinstalled and stop using the Beta version

am about to switch over to udsing just Microsoft as it's included in my windows plan.  I reached out the otehr day telling them I thought for waht I am paying for I am not getting the correct program.  All I was told was if I pay an annual fee, I can save money???

Really??? I am probably one of the very long time users of DB and thats how you talk to me.  Fix it or refund me!

tonyyvnn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why would it say downloading files if its going to the cloud?

This only happens every couple days???

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ianh1 Helpful | Level 6
    llhdp New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?