cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore backed-up folders/files to default locations

Restore backed-up folders/files to default locations

croyt
Explorer | Level 3

Still trying to untangle the Dropbox client and restore my backed-up folders/files(Desktop, Downloads, Documents) to their default locations. Followed Daphne's instructions to disable backup, uninstalled the client, rebooted. However, downloaded files still go to dropbox/MyPC/downloads. I want my system back; please help.

6 Replies 6

Re: Restore backed-up folders/files to default locations

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @croyt, thanks for posting today!

When you disable the computer backup feature, you'll be presented with two options:

"Keep content in folders on this Mac/PC," then your files and folders will be available in their respective locations on your device.

"Leave content in Dropbox," your files will remain in your Dropbox account. However, they will no longer appear in their original folders on your computer. In those locations, they’ll be replaced by a shortcut to the Dropbox folder.

If you wish, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original folders, at any time.

Which option did you choose? 

Keep me posted. 

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

croyt
Explorer | Level 3

Actually, I don't remember which option I chose, but apparently it was "Leave in Dropbox," because files in the default Downloads were linked into my local Dropbox space. Uninstalling the Dropbox client has made hash of my file system.

Drag-and-drop simply doesn't do what you say. I created a new Downloads folder, then copy/pasted all files in the Dropbox version to the new folder, trashed the Dropbox source files, and rebooted. Tested with a new download and found it went to the now empty Dropbox/Downloads folder.

Lori
Dropboxer
Can you try these steps to move the folder to the default location and let me know how it goes @croyt

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

croyt
Explorer | Level 3

@Lori-- Thanks for the pointer, but Daphne's instructions don't seem relevant to my situation. Here's what I have:

under C:\Users\croyt\

Desktop\ - 56 files, 24 folders, 8.63 MB

Documents\ - 23 files, 18 folders, 55.1 MB

Downloads\ - Properties say "File folder" and shows no details,

but it's actually a link, apparently to Dropbox\My PC\Downloads

Links\Desktop - target: "C:\Users\croyt\Desktop"

Links\Downloads - target:

"C:\Users\croyt\Dropbox\My PC\Downloads"

under Dropbox\My PC\

Desktop\ - empty folder

Documents\ - empty folder

Downloads\ - 47 files, 5 folders, 59.5 MB, *NEW* downloads land here

Simple copy/drag the Downloads files to the default C:\Users\croyt\ 

doesn't work.  New downloads STILL end up in Dropbox\My PC\Downloads, 

as I said on WEDNESDAY

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info @croyt

Would you be able to send me some screenshots in order for me to have a clear visual representation of what you see? 

Also, do you experience any errors when trying to move the folders back to their original path?

Lori
dropbox.com/support

croyt
Explorer | Level 3

@Lori-- 

OK, not clear how screenshots will tell more than I've already said, but here are two current and one older:

o C_Users_croyt - current state of the default user folder. Note that Desktop and Documents are populated correctly but Downloads is merely a link into Dropbox

o Dbx_Canth_Dnlds - under Dropbox/My PC/, Desktop and Documents are empty, while Downloads is populated.

o access denied - when I tried following @Daphne's instructions and first uninstalled the Dropbox client back in Apr, I got this error ... and I am Administrator.  Frustrating and otally opaque.

Today I downloaded one file and (accidentally) a mult-item folder. When I subsequently tried to delete both, the process just hung. No error msg. The problem, I presume, is that I've no client now, so the call failed, gracelessly.  In any case, I want to delete only the local copies.  How to get out of this tangle?

C_Users_croyt.jpgDbx_Canth_Dnlds.jpgaccess denied.jpg

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

croyt Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?