cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring deleted My Documents back to PC from Dropbox

Restoring deleted My Documents back to PC from Dropbox

MC101
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am new to Dropbox and am hoping somebody here can help me as I have just done a really stupid thing.

I accidentally deleted the Dropbox folder on my Windows 10 PC which removed the My Documents folder and all of the files within it.

I have tried Windows restore previous version and Onedrive but no luck!

I have reinstalled Drop Box on the PC.

When I log in to the Dropbox portal I can see the deleted files.

My question is how can I restore the My Documents folder and its contents from Dropbox to its original location on the PC ?

I'd appreciate any advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Restoring deleted My Documents back to PC from Dropbox

adambtolbert
Collaborator | Level 8

@MC101 wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Dropbox and am hoping somebody here can help me as I have just done a really stupid thing.

I accidentally deleted the Dropbox folder on my Windows 10 PC which removed the My Documents folder and all of the files within it.

My question is how can I restore the My Documents folder and its contents from Dropbox to its original location on the PC ?

Hi @MC101, if you are able to see your files in dropbox you can restore them. To do so you can click File in the left sidebar > click deleted files >Click on your multiple files by click checkbox icon > Click Restore.  Thanks

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

I'm missing files after using the automatic computer backup feature. Can you help?

beetleborg
Explorer | Level 3

I decided to upgrade for more storage space today and add another computer. When I logged into the Windows 10 dropbox app, the app started to sync all of my folders from the /users onwards. Shortly, all of the /users folders had a green check mark.

When I opened up my folders(locally and online), all my files were gone. There was no trace of any of the files. When going to deleted files history, it didn't show any files on there. I tried to remove said folder from "Selective Sync" on the preference tab on both of my computers and that didn't work as well. So I've paused syncing on both computers for the time being given this issue.

I've tried to look up past posts online, but nothing I found was similar to this problem. I also wasn't able to submit a request to the dropbox team as there was no link I could find which was validate to fulfil the "Restoration" requirement. Anyhelp would be appreciated(or any file recovery software recommendation would also be helpful).

Re: I'm missing files after using the automatic computer backup feature. Can you help?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi peeps, thanks for checking in with us - let's see what we can do on this. 

@MC101, since you can see the deleted files, have you tried restoring them by following these steps?

If you're not able to, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message?

@beetleborg, since you mention that you submitted a ticket regarding this to our support team, could you let me know the ID (eg. #1234567) associated with it? 

Let me know of any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I'm missing files after using the automatic computer backup feature. Can you help?

beetleborg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for getting back to me. I might not have been clear, I wasn't able to submit a ticket. I couldn't find a "Restoration" link that was valid so it wouldn't let me submit it. (It's also not clear to me how to get a restoration link, I had no deleted files everything I tried failed to be valid).  This link to the article, didn't tell me how to find a valid link either.

I posted this yesterday when there was no support available(weekend) and admist panic due to my file being missing.  There has been no change to my dropbox folder. I did attempt a file recovery software and I'm still shifting through what the software was able to recover. I'll attempt to do a live chat now, if live chat can help me in anyway, I'll update the post.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @beetleborg

In the meantime, you can also check this article out which talks a bit more in depth about our automatic computer back up feature and how to turn it off - it might help do the trick. 

In any case, let me know how it goes and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

PS. @MC101, I'd also recommend checking the above mentioned article as well, as it may provide some insight on the matter. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

beetleborg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Likewise, you're swift reply is appreciated. I've spent the past two hours on a live chat with a representative with no avail. My ticket number is 10719857 if you have the time to look into it. I've also went through the link you've posted, it was a good read, but nothing that helped resolve my issue. First time engaging in dropbox community, but I've been using Dropbox for years, just the first time paying past basic user and consequently with a catastrophic failure.

I've walked through the representative what happened, which files were missing, timing of what happened, checked the events page, deleted_files page, verified I wasn't mistaken another account, all with a screen share etc...

At the end of the day, the files missing weren't tracked on dropbox.com so there really wasn't anything the dropbox representative can do. We just came to a conclusion that file recovery software was the way to go. 

I did run into another problem. Now that (I'm more sure) my files are gone, I just wanted dropbox to stop tracking that folder online, but it had trouble deleting it, as well as unselecting "Selective Sync" didn't work. I did this while the dropbox representative was watching my screen. Both issues are escalated to email. Maybe these problems are linked? I don't know, but I'll update this thread if I hear back from the online support.

Lusil
Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration, @beetleborg

I understand how important this is for you, and to have a better look into this, I'd recommend continuing via the ticket discussion that you have with my team.

I can see that your case is being reviewed by a specialized member of the team, so as soon as they have more info on the matter, they'll reply to you via email. 

If there's anything else I can do from my end, don't hesitate to give me another nudge. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

MC101
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for your response. I managed to restore everything just by sending myself links to the original files, not very clever but it worked so that is good enough for me. I noticed several other posts submitted by people in a similar situation to myself, whilst I now understand how Dropbox inserts itself into the path to My Documents in Windows it would be helpful to post something in a prominent position to stop others making the same mistake that I did.

Anyway thanks again and the best of luck to anyone else that has made the same mistake as I did.

adambtolbert
Collaborator | Level 8

@MC101 wrote:

Hi,

Hi @MC101, if you are able to see your files in dropbox you can restore them. To do so you can click File in the left sidebar > click deleted files >Click on your multiple files by click checkbox icon > Click Restore.  Thanks

View solution in original post

MC101
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @adambtolbert, thank you very much that is a much better way of doing it

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    PetrusRoux New member | Level 2
    Sheepdog77 Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?