cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring files in a shared account

Restoring files in a shared account

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I'm trying to help a friend with Dropbox who isn't so good with technology and I'm unsure what to do to fix it...

My friend had a whole load of things shared with her on Dropbox by Mr X. She downloaded the app onto her computer and went with the local save and not online. All the files shared crashed her computer and so she had to delete it.

She then got the email from Dropbox to say she has 6 months to restore the files. She's worried that restoring the files will crash her computer but doesn't want to delete the files.

We just had a zoom chat about it...I told her to go into File Explorer and right click the file to change the sync from local to online but it didn't give that option. When she shared her screen, the Dropbox was called 'Mr X's Dropbox' not Dropbox. I suspect that he shared his whole Dropbox and not the files individually. Is that the case?

She wants to restore the files deleted (ideally to the cloud) and have everything else shared on the cloud...How would she go about that?

Any help is really appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Re: Restoring files in a shared account

Dropboxer

Hi @Michelle24, thanks for posting on the Community!

In order to understand this matter better, could you clarify if they have signed into another user's email address, or into their own account?

Did they join a Dropbox Business team, or just a shared folder? You can see if they're in a team from here.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2
Hi Jay,

Thank you for the reply!

She is signed in as herself on the desktop app.

Under settings, there's a teams and group section and when she clicked on it, it took her to the folder that I was talking about - it had her listed as a member.

Edit: it seems in the folder online version, there are introduction to Dropbox.

Kind Regards,
Michelle

Dropboxer

It sounds like she may have accepted an invitation to join a Business team, @Michelle24.

If she's concerned about how the files/app will affect her computer, I could suggest uninstalling the app on the computer and just accessing the account online.

You can restore the files from the website then, without worrying about it causing issues on the computer, and she can even delete the local Dropbox folder.

Uninstalling the app wouldn't affect that account online either. How does that sound?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?