cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Restrict permissions to see selected folders for members

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I started using the New Dropbox business and I am struggling with permissions my invited members have. They can see all and I would like to control what and when they see.  

Is this possible?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Restrict permissions to see selected folders for members

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Tauri, just jumping in here!

To create the top level team folders, you do need to be within the Content tab of the admin console.

However, you can also create subfolders within the team folders from your Files page, and share the folders with the external users by just adding them in via the "Share" option.

Now, to change the permissions within the lower levels of the team folders, within the Content tab you can hover over any folder within a team folder and choose the "Manage" option.

Essentially, you can navigate to the subfolders you want to share with the external users and add them in where needed, either via the Content tab or by the "Share" option in your Files page.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Tauri - welcome to the Dropbox Family and happy 2020!

Could you elaborate a tad on what you'd like to achieve as an ideal end-result so I can advise in the best way possible?

In the meantime, you can also take a look at the relevant resource in our Help Center:

https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/admin/team-folder-manager

Keep me posted please! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Thanks for good wishes and I hope You and the Dropbox will have a very successful 2020!

About my goal with the dropbox that I like to set up- I have a company folder structure and I want to bring it to the new Dropbox. (I really like the new reach features and the overall UI) I have my core team and then I have some people I take on for 6 months or so. They are either design or manufacturing and so on. I would like to give them access to my Dropbox business to work in this new environment. But- I don't want them to see right away may finances and contracts folders. What would be a good way to do this as I don't want to manage different special ways to do it. For me, it would be perfect like this: I have my folder structure in the new Dropbox and When I need to take on new members, I just add the person and then give them access as deep into the folders as needed. 

Hope it does make sense to you

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your kind response and it does actually; it makes perfect sense @Tauri!

Thanks for clarifying and elaborating on your use-case.

I think you'll find the following Help Center article very helpful so please take a look there when you get the chance and let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Have a lovely day in the meantime!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey! Yes, now I know how to make this kind of folders I need. It can be done only in the dropbox web and I have to make teams folder in the Content tab. There I have to select "selected people" not my members and then select the people manually. This is good, but if I go even one level into the folder structure, this is not possible anymore. I need to be on the top page of the content tab, create the folder and then move it to where I need it to be in deeper levels of the folder structure.

Am I missing something or this folder structure building really is so tedious? It would be perfect to do this in the desktop app and however deep into the structure.

Hope there is a better way

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Tauri, just jumping in here!

To create the top level team folders, you do need to be within the Content tab of the admin console.

However, you can also create subfolders within the team folders from your Files page, and share the folders with the external users by just adding them in via the "Share" option.

Now, to change the permissions within the lower levels of the team folders, within the Content tab you can hover over any folder within a team folder and choose the "Manage" option.

Essentially, you can navigate to the subfolders you want to share with the external users and add them in where needed, either via the Content tab or by the "Share" option in your Files page.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey! Thanks! I have been diving into new DropBox last week and now I get it. I have some suggestions for improvement but I will come back to them when I have using it longer. Overall- Awesome upgrade! I am actually moving my company to DropBox thanks to the new UI!  

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm really glad to hear that @Tauri!

We're always happy for feedback too, so don't hesitate to reach back out to me here or even share ideas on what you think would be a good addition to help with your workflow.

Also, please feel free to reach out to us here with any questions you have and I'm sure you'll be a Dropbox pro in no time.

I hope you have a smooth transition - happy Dropboxing! 

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?