cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted Viewing Issues

Restricted Viewing Issues

bmendoza0921
Explorer | Level 4

I work for attorneys who have been using Sharepoint rather than Dropbox to restrict viewing to a certain client.  While Sharepoint has its own problems (i.e. sharing links or folders to users), they at least can completely restrict downloading or printing to pdf, which is a problem I have encountered with Dropbox.  We have a business Dropbox account and would rather use Dropbox to share certain files to a client at the same time limiting their ability to download OR print to pdf.  While they cannot download directly using the download button, if they hit the print button, they can then download or print to pdf.  What is the point of having restricted viewing/downloading if all you have to do is hit the print button and "poof" you have download or printing abilities?  It is very frustrating.

5 Replies 5

Re: Restricted Viewing Issues

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @bmendoza0921, thanks for contacting us!

If you're using shared links to files, it is possible to disable downloads on the links depending on your plan, which would also prevent printing of the file using the Dropbox interface.

Are you able to print while the downloads are disabled, or are you referring to printing via another method?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Anthro Admin
New member | Level 2

I had this exact query, but found that when I hit the print button at the bottom of the preview screen, though it did open the document in a new window, clicking the print icon/print feature would not proceed further. 

HOWEVER... I was still able to save the file as a jpg image from the preview pane in Dropbox, even though downloads had been disabled, and then convert that into a pdf via the print function. It was fairly low resolution, but I could still use features in Adobe to bypass any other protections at this stage (edit text/images, convert to Word etc). 

bmendoza0921
Explorer | Level 4
Me too and I’m just a little confused as to what’s the point of being able to prevent downloading a document if you can just hit the print button and save as a pdf… doesn’t make sense and it totally defeats the purpose!

Rich
Super User II

@bmendoza0921 wrote:
... what’s the point of being able to prevent downloading a document if you can just hit the print button ...

You're preventing the download of the original file. There's nothing preventing someone from capturing the preview file they see in their browser. Whatever protections you think will work, there's a way around them. If you can see it in your browser, you can find a way to capture it.

bmendoza0921
Explorer | Level 4

Yes I suppose you're right.  I've done it many times.  Thanks for your response Rich!!🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bmendoza0921 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Anthro Admin New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?