cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverting files when opened by other person

Reverting files when opened by other person

New member | Level 2

My boss and I collaborate on one particular file. We are both using Dropbox for Mac. For some reason when he opens the file it reverts it back to a previous version and all the work I have done disappears. I’m looking at the version history- it shows the correct version on my edit on 10/28. My boss edited it on 10/29 and on that version all of my work from the previous day disappeared. What could be causing this?

3 Replies 3

Re: Reverting files when opened by other person

Dropboxer

Hi @Levymikes112, thanks for joining the Community!

When you're seeing the changes, do you see the edits from the boss on the old file of yours, or just the older version of the file before either of you made edits? What type of file is it that you're editing?

Do you both edit via the Dropbox site directly, or from the app on your Mac or mobile app?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2
Thanks for your reply jay! We are both editing the excel file through Dropbox in the finder. It seems that even though my edits saved, as soon as he opens it on his end all of my changes disappear. Then it saves on his end with the old version he is seeing. Hopefully that helps some?

Dropboxer

Is the boss running the Dropbox desktop application only when he needs to make changes, or is it constantly running and syncing?

The latter would prevent this issue from occurring, since you'll know both of your have the latest version on the machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?