cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right click menu missing (Mac OS)

Right click menu missing (Mac OS)

batilly84
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Thought I would reach out to you directly with a problem that I don't see the specific solution to. 

My right click menu suddenly disappeared today while working on files in a Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox folder is a personal account.

The files are syncing correctly (I see it on web version as well). Notifications indicate they are synced. However, there are no icons to indicate they are synced or the right click menu option. 

I've shared three screenshots--(1) one from within a Dropbox folder with right click selected (and available options), (2) my Dropbox app menu showing that all items are synced and they are confirmed via Dropbox web and (3) showing that all folders are set to sync (which they are).

I have restarted my computer already. Still an issue.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 7.37.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 7.38.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 10.34.21 PM.png

38 Replies 38

Danny Wyatt
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay 

Thank you for your help. That did the trick (downloading the other version, because the Extension was already turned ON).

danielbonavita
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm having the same issue on Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

My Dropbox version is 147.3.4786 – I've tried the non-beta before but was having the same issues.

There's no context (disappearing) menu when I right-click and no icon on any folder as well. I've also tried the steps of uninstalling + installing, and very annoyingly it doesn't solve 😞

danielbonavita
New member | Level 2

Ok, I just solved it by going to my Mac settings -> Extensions and I've found out Finder Extensions has been disabled when I updated my Mac.

Thanks everyone in this thread (and community) with the many tips and tricks.

asbrown72
Helpful | Level 5

I've got exactly the same problem. All of a sudden, on my desktop Mac (Big Sur 11.6.5, Dropbox version 149.3.4526) my right-click contextual menu does not give me all of the Dropbox options that it used to do. The one that I used most often was 'Copy Dropbox link', as I'm frequently sharing files. But now that doesn't appear (see attached), neither in the right-click menu nor in the mini Dropbox desktop app. The only solution is to click 'View on Dropbox.com' and then go through the process of creating and copying a link on Dropbox.com. Why has this changed? It continues to work correctly on my Macbook Pro (MacOS 12.0.1, Dropbox version 147.3.4765).

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 11.15.43.JPG

danbett
Helpful | Level 7
Dropbox have removed this feature in the name of progress… but without mentioning it at all. Please petition them to put it back as they are not allowing sharing from any backed up files/folders. I really don’t know why

Hope this comes back soon

Dan

asbrown72
Helpful | Level 5
Actually, I've since discovered the problem. It's because Dropbox, in their wisdom, have removed the function to share anything that is backed up. Now, naturally, all the files I'm working on are on the desktop of my Mac, which had been backed up via Dropbox. That now means I can do only very limited things with every file on my desktop, and that does not include sharing via a Dropbox link. Why have they done this? In their words, to avoid our inadvertently sharing sensitive files! I mean, talk about treating your customers like children. How dare they decide what we can and we cannot share of our own files? I've found an inelegant workaround, but really Dropbox you need to reverse this and reinstate the function to share any backed-up file, folder or drive.

JeffSimpson911
New member | Level 2

totally agree. I used that quick share function multiple times a day, it was a time saver. If it is gone for good I think I'll just move everything over to google drive =(

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Dropbox/Megan,  would anyone care to reply to our concerns or is that too much to ask? Hope to hear from you soon

regards

Dan B

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi all! I hope you're doing well! 

It is indeed not possible to share files from the backup folder any more. That happened, in order to ensure the security of your files, as a lot of people have very personal files saved there. 

I do understand your frustration and I will definitely pass your comments along to our team.

Now, if you experience this behavior with paths outside of the backup folder, can you try opening a ticket with our Support team, in order for them to have a closer look into this? 

Provided you face trouble doing so, let me know and I'll jump in to help.

Thank you! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

So if I stop backing up my computer, can I save my whole desktop and documents on dropbox so I can get this back, also why does dropbox not give any advance warning of this and why can we not choose, I don't feel that you have answered any questions here at all or provided any help or work around. And no, we are not doing well I suspect, I think we are all a little bit angry...

I ask again, please will you give us some real help and not fob us off, if you don't want to help any more then please provide a clear escalation path to this problem to someone who can actually help.

regards

Dan B

P.s I am not venting and I really don't want to be writing these emails, I just want the service that I signed up for and pay for and for it not be to radically altered with no warning and no consent

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TRC117 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?