cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rovemoved files from mac

Rovemoved files from mac

New member | Level 2

Dear all, 

I work in a local dropbox folder on my Mac computer. Accidentally I removed the dropbox folder on my Mac, however, I exceeded the 2 gb data limit. Hence, I lost all the files which are above the 2 gb boundary since the trashbin has been emtied as well. Does anyone has an option to restore the files on my computer? I haven't turned of my computer after it happend, so hopehully that might help. 

Thank you in advance. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Rovemoved files from mac

Dropboxer

Hey, @pascalvandijk, welcome to our online community. 

Well, if you had been working on files in your local Dropbox folder while your account was over its space limit, syncing would not have taken place. This would mean that any edits, additions, revisions, etc. that you made in this folder would not be reflected in your account online, so if you deleted them locally, we won’t be able to help recover them. 

That said, your files will still be available in your account online, but they will be the versions without recent edits. 

About turning on your computer, I suggest signing out of it remotely first from your account settings online. That way when you turn it on, the deletions won’t affect your account's files. 

I hope this helps. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

dear @Sanchez, 

First of all, thank you for your fast response. After overshooting the 2 GB limit, I made several documents. Some small documents (70 kb range) and one very important summary in Microsoft word (approx. 10-50 mb range). The strange thing is that I've been able to retrieve the small documents, however, the summary is missing. I cannot find it anymore. To add to that, I've temporarily increased my account storage to 3 TB but still, the files do not pop up. I've checked the online environment as well but it does not show the missing summary at all. 

The singing out option didn't help either. Do you have any other suggestions? 

Thank you in advance. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @pascalvandijk!

Since you mentioned that you deleted the files from your computer, and they weren't able to sync to your Dropbox account online, you would need to look into restoring the remaining files from your local computer.

I would have to suggest doing a quick web search to see how you can try and recover the files that were deleted, as there may be some third party recovery apps that can help with this.

Sorry that we can't be of much more help with this, but please let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help out where I can!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?