cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: STILL can't get my Dropbox photos to show up in my Android gallery

STILL can't get my Dropbox photos to show up in my Android gallery

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4

I've read all the related forum posts dating back to 2012 with no avil. 

Problem: I use dropbox mostly for photoshop files and JPG photos. I have many folders and subfolders with pictures and files. Today I started uploading some of these pictures to instagram, so I first selected a folder and 'saved to device'. This did not show these pictures in my Android Gallery app where I need them to be despite saving them to folders with gallery pictures in them. So I selected individual pictures, used the same process and still they are not showing. I found a workaround online by selecting a single picture, clicking 'export to' then selecting instagram. While this did work, it only works for single pictures and I still can't see them in my gallery. 

I am now trying to upload multiple pictures to instagram in a single 'carousel' post, but I am unable to select 'export to' instagram with multiple selected. 

I need to find a way to get my pictures to show up in my Android gallery. I have already looked into the left 'Photos' tab of Dropbox and non of the pictures in my folders show up there, so I am unable to add them to a sub folder named 'Photos' (This was the best solution according to other online users)

Any help avaliable for this?? Thanks

44 Replies 44

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

No problem at all @Khimari, I'm just glad to hear it's working for you!

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here, I'd be more than happy to help. :grin:

Have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Themagicaloz
New member | Level 2
Is there any way to move photos from drop box straight to camera roll and have them show up? I know it automatically moves them to download folder...but even when I change it to camera roll or a folder I jave specifically made it says the have transferred but when I go to the folder it is empty. It does work for one photo at a time as mentioned above but that is pain stakingly slow. Surely this has been fixed by now? Jo

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @Themagicaloz!

Would you mind trying to export multiple images when you connect to a different WiFi network to see if there's any difference in the behaviour there?

Also, can you try doing this over cellular data too just to cover all possibilities?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4
This issue was never fixed. Still never found a solution and for my situation, I ended up buying a USB-c to USB A thumb drive and I transfer all my photos manually. Also why I ended up canceling my Dropbox subscription

os_oha
New member | Level 2

Hey, everyone struggling with the issue of batch-transfered files not showing up on your android device, after a night of struggling with the same problem, trying to move files around and testing options, I finally found the solution:

use google drive.

thanks, dropbox.

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox for Android (v176.2.8, tested with number of Android smartphones v9++)

...has a nasty issue - when a number of photos is exported (save to device, any folder chosen - Downloads, DCIM root, DCIM camera, etc, guaranteed to have no NOMEDIA) these photos would never appear in any 'recent photos', not picked up by phone's gallery or visible in any photo selection dialog - effectively they bypass the file registration system on Android. The file manager would see those pictures with correct file names and in a correct (chosen) location, those pictures could be opened from the file manager or via desktop/USB connection file explorer but they would not be visible with any of standard image access tools.

This is clearly a bug that must be fixed.

Is there a workaround to fix this?

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 4

p.s. when I save a single photo (Export -> Save to Device) it would be visible in gallery app and in all photo/image selector dialog.

It does not work when there is a selection of photos is saved

Obviously, it is boring and really stupid to click and save every single photo individually, especially when you have few dozens to save...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @dmg_2020, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info. For example:

• Are you not able to see bulk exports consistently or is it only for a short period of time?
  • Do you experience the same behavior after you reboot your device as well?
  • Does this happen when you download files from your mobile's browser?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 4

It is much simpler than that.

It does not depend on any timing, I just select let me say 10 images (jpeg files with standard .jpg extension) click 'export' -> 'save to device' -> choose folder ...

the download process would start and the images WOULD BE saved in selected folder

but those images WOULD NOT be available in standard LG gallery app, Samsung gallery app or even in Google's Photo App, they would never be available in any of 'open file/image selection dialogs'.

Effectively, the saved images behave like they were stored in NOMEDIA-tagged folder while they are saved in a regular folder.

If I will save those 10 images one by one using the same 'export' -> 'save to device' -> the same folder - they would appear in all galleries and selection dialogs.

The devices I use are kept in a good condition, all updates applied, rebooted, plenty of available storage.

I haven't tried web interface, just the native Android app - but thanks for the idea, the browser might behave differently.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the detailed reply, @dmg_2020!

I'd be happy to create a ticket for you so that we have a more in-depth look on this together. 

Before that though, could you try downloading from the web and let me know what you see?

Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?