cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe recovery of files locked by ransomware

Safe recovery of files locked by ransomware

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Unfortunately my pc got infected by a ransomware. It locked all my files including the data i had on my dropbox, shared with my colleagues, changing their extension to "lalo".

First, I wanted to know if there is a way to recover my data because they're really important and we've got no backup.
Then i want to make sure these files are not affected by the malware and it can't infect my colleagues' devices.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ntorabi, just jumping in here to see if I can help out!

With ransomware attacks, the files on your device are usually just encrypted rather than altered in that way.

However, if you do want to check the files then this isn't something that can be done by Dropbox. You would need to use an antivirus software to do so.

Regarding restoring your files, do you know around how long ago the ransomware affected your device? Was this perhaps outside of your account's version history window?

If you check your Events page here, can you see a large event when your files were affected?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for your response,
I used the version history of files while singed from browser, but unfortunatly it didn't work...
All the versions i restore to, are linked with the extension ".lalo"

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
- I should add, that i formated my computer and now it's clean,
- And when i go to the version history of files, there's a note there that i have changed the name of file with ".lalo" ...
- How can i make sure that these folders are not containing any virous file? Does dropbox scan files?
- can deleting the whole folder be a safe way to assure it's clean?
- (by the way, i loged on browser right now, i haven't installed the dektop app yet...)

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ntorabi, just jumping in here to see if I can help out!

With ransomware attacks, the files on your device are usually just encrypted rather than altered in that way.

However, if you do want to check the files then this isn't something that can be done by Dropbox. You would need to use an antivirus software to do so.

Regarding restoring your files, do you know around how long ago the ransomware affected your device? Was this perhaps outside of your account's version history window?

If you check your Events page here, can you see a large event when your files were affected?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for your response @Daphne , finaly i recovered my files using the shadow copy of my deleted files,
About the version history, yes i tried to restore to versions before the encryption, but it didn't work, any previous versions i refered to were surprisingly encrypted...
By the way, you were right, the folder was virous free, it was just encrypted :))

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that you had another backup of your files @Ntorabi!

If I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to get back to me here, I'd be happy to assist. :grin:

Hope you have a great week ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

isaias
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I discovered another way to restore the files without using the Rewind function. It's more laborious, but still functional.
It happens that the ransomware changes the name of the file, so, for example, a file with a name "report.xlsx", becomes "report.xlsx.id[232323-12312].acuff",
What i did was to change the file name to "report.xlsx" again and, that way, Dropbox showed early versions of the file.
After that, I simply restore the files I wanted.

walpole00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My data was encrypted by ransomware pirates. How can I restore files...when i attempt to restore indiviadul files via version history, it fails to restore to the previous file version.  Nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @walpole00, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I moved your post here, where other users have also had a similar issue. 

Since you've already tried restoring your files to a previous version though - great work by the way! - could you let me know the exact error message you get? 

If you could send me a screenshot, that would be super helpful. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    HALNISS New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Brenae New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?