cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe recovery of files locked by ransomware

Safe recovery of files locked by ransomware

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Unfortunately my pc got infected by a ransomware. It locked all my files including the data i had on my dropbox, shared with my colleagues, changing their extension to "lalo".

First, I wanted to know if there is a way to recover my data because they're really important and we've got no backup.
Then i want to make sure these files are not affected by the malware and it can't infect my colleagues' devices.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

21 Replies 21

walpole00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can see each file being 'added'/renamed, then the original file being deleted in the events page.  Every file in my drop box in now encrypted.  It all happened this morning, file by file at 10:09am.  When I try to restore the file, nothing happens (from version history)

walpole00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Heres a screen shot of the events...every file shows as being 'added' with a new file extn, then the original file is deleted.  None of the original files that have been deleted are in the deleted folder.

dropboxevents.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In that case, we'll have to take a better look into this together via ticket. 

I've sent you one to the email address connected to your Community profile, so when you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll go from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ntorabi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

sorry to hear you've got the same problem,

actually the ''version history'' didn't work for me either, any version I refered to from an encrypted file, changed in to an encrypted file despite it wasn't encrypted in that time . I used the "show deleted files'' option in right side of the browser, and restored my files from there one by one,

hope it will work for you too, let me now incase you found another solution for this.

@walpole00 

waheed254
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It Worked Really.
Thanks Brother.

waheed254
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Your Method worked well also get recovered my data.
Thanks

Brenae
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Help! I need to urgently rewind my files back to a date prior to 11/2/22.  My files have been encrypted by Royal Ransom Virus and I do not have access to my data.  Can someone help me with this?  I currently have the Basic plan. If I upgrade to the Plus plan will I then be able to Rewind to a previous date? 

Do I delete the corrupted files off of my computer, or will the rewind update them automatically, etc. 

Can someone please help me ASAP this is very urgent. 

Brenda

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

Have a look at https://help.dropbox.com/security/ransomware-recovery

Basically you need to clean your machine first and THEN recover. Upgrading to paid will let you rewind 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Brenae
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you. My C drive drive did not have any bad files on it. The only folder infected was my Dropbox folder. I uninstalled Dropbox, logged out of my account, et cetera on my local computer.
Should I delete the Dropbox folder on my local computer c drive, before I rewind my files or will the rewind update the files on my local computer you do when I synch?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Personally I'd just wipe the Dropbox directory and everything near it and then start a fresh 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    HALNISS New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Brenae New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?