cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Files from Safari to Dropbox App (iPad and iPhone)

Saving Files from Safari to Dropbox App (iPad and iPhone)

Chiara_
Explorer | Level 3

Hey there! 
I'd like to save files (mostly PDFs) directly from Safari to my Dropbox, but it doesn't work on my iPad as well as on my iPhone.

To do so, I take the following steps:

1. open the file in Safari
2. click on the 'sharing button' (the square with the arrow 😉 )
3. choose 'save to dropbox' (if I choose directly the Dropbox icon it would only share the file - so that's not what I'm looking for)
4. choose the destination folder
5. it says 'saving' and then 'uploading' and I can see the check mark

So far, so good. When I open my Dropbox, there is the just uploaded file named 'index.php', and I can't open it. Neither a second down- and upload nor a change of the document format (.php to .pdf) was helpful.

Any idea or input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: both iOS and Dropbox are up to date

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chiara_, thanks for reaching out!

From the file extension that you mentioned, it sounds like it might be trying to save the website page rather than a PDF file.

When you first tap the "share" button in Safari, at the top if the options of where you can send the file, it shows you some info on the file you're trying to share at the very top.

Does this show the file as a PDF? Would you mind sending me a screenshot of this?

Also, what happens if you try and save the file to your device's local storage instead?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chiara_
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

thank you for your response.

The document name looks fine. I tried changing the document type from 'automatic' to 'pdf' (under the blue Options >) - neither of it worked.

If I choose 'Save to Files', and then Dropbox, it works. However, it takes much longer until I get to the destination folder. 

Thank you!

8DD2F02C-5FF6-48CA-9A57-E7661B6968EB.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking on that @Chiara_!

Can you confirm for me the exact iOS version of your devices and the Dropbox app installed on them?

If you haven't already, please try restarting your devices to see if that helps at all.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chiara_
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne
I assume you wanted to mention me? 😉
My Dropbox app version is 206.2.2, and I installed iOS 14 yesterday on both devices. I have already restarted and rebooted my devices several times.

What I've just observed is that now when I change the document type from automatic to PDF (under the blue options >) the 'save to Dropbox‘ action as well as the Dropbox icon at the top disappears completely, screenshot attached.

IMG_7218.PNG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Yes indeed @Chiara_, sorry about that!

Where are you downloading this file from? 

For example, is it a file sent through a Dropbox shared link from another person, or are you downloading the file from another website perhaps?

Also, once you change the format to PDF, can you let me know if using the Dropbox icon in the horizontal app bar does the trick instead?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Chiara_ Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?