Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving file again while dropbox is syncing deletes and corrupts file!

vvb9 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I opened and editted an image file from dropbox, saved, made some edits, and then tried to save again. Got an error saying I don't have permission, or the file is locked. Went to find the file and Dropbox deleted it and corrupted it. File is now 0bytes. What? Why? This is awful.

I can repeat this consistantly. Ever time I repeat the above process. If I save the file with a new name I can avoid losing it. But the original file will get deleted AND corrupted. I did notice the animated blue circle sync icon is on the files that this happens to. So I think it's not allowing me to save while the file is being sync'd. But why does it delete it? I have lost 2 original files worth many hours of work.  Can't trust to keep anything on Dropbox right now.

Anybody else able to repeat this? Or someone have a fix?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Re: Saving file again while dropbox is syncing deletes and corrupts file!

New member | Level 2

Quick update. I did get my files back out of the deleted folder. I was just taking a long time for them to update apparently. The files are very large, one is 110megabites the other 405megabites.

Still would like to know why they get deleted in this way. 

Thanks

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @vvb9 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm assuming that you're referring to temp files that are created when you edit your files through some 3rd party apps (Photoshop being an example) and the fact that those get deleted after you're done editing your files and our desktop app on your computer states 'Up to date' which means you're fully synced - am I on the right track? 

Let me know here when you get the chance and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I am using Photoshop 2020. But it's not the temp file (*.tmp) that Photoshop creates while saving that is at issue. It's the original file I'm editting. It will get deleted when the error message scenario happens that I described in my original post. I'm at a different computer today and cannot replicate the problem now. I have seen it before on this computer but it's working properly now.

When I get back to the computer where I had the original problem I'll see if I can replicate it and post the error message I get in Photoshop. If it happens again I'll be sure to post my steps and be as detailed as possible.

I use Dropbox with three computers, all running Windows 10. The files I'm working with are .tif format in case that helps.

Thanks for helping.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details @vvb9!

Keep me posted on your findings when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Until we speak again, take care 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?