cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared folders

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Actually, just one more thing. From a privacy standpoint, how would Dropbox record the action of saving files from a shared link as?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

You can see what it would appear as on the events page when you add the shared link to your account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
So when the website records anytime you add a file to your account, it doesn’t show the method you added them by? Also, can Dropbox tell whether you received files from a shared link or if you uploaded them yourself? Or do they categorize those actions as being synonymous?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Henry1001, adding files via the website, be it logging into your own account, or saving via a shared link, would show the same on the events page, namely 'Web'. 

Regarding adding files via the desktop app or API apps, you can see the events page for how those files are upload when you click the file in the event.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi jay,
So would it be impossible to tell which files were mine to begin with and which ones I received through a shared link?
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Also, as a hypothetical, if Dropbox were to say a user uploaded files, would they be referring to the process of uploading files, or the fact that they added the file to their account in general?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @Orangesky, when you save a file from a shared link, you're adding a copy of it to your account.

As such, you become the owner of the copy, not of the original file. The owner of the original file is the one who sent you the shared link in the first place. 

Remember that shared links aren't added to your account since you don't need one to preview it. 

This means that if you are sent a shared link, your own account does not keep track of what happens to the content. 

As for your last question, could you clarify the difference you're referring to between uploading and adding files to an account?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay,
When I refer to uploading a file I mean adding the files from Dropbox via my computer or cell phone. When I refer to adding the files I mean copying them from a shared link. So if Dropbox were to say a user uploaded files, would they be referring to both of these actions?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

That's right, both of those actions would show as you uploading files into your account @Orangesky.

Since the files don't exist in the account before, this is seen as uploading the files to the account.

Hope that helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi daphne,
Oh ok that makes sense, but I’m still a little confused on why one is longer. If you’re uploading the files to your account using both methods, then why is uploading them from my computer and not a shared link take longer. I understand that I’m copying the files from a shared link onto my account, but shouldn’t it it take the same amount of time for the copied files to upload to my account because they are the same size as the originals?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?